Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing a noisy student

I have been a part of classes with students that tend to dominate the learning environment. How do you discipline a (know it all) student in a nice way?

Laletrice:
Managing a "know it all" student in an online environment can be a challenge. I am not referring to a student who is just being disruptive; but to one who is really knowledgeable and just gets thrill out of making his or her briallance known. This situation is most likely to arise in Chat sessions; so this is what I would recommend as we would not want to stifle participation in this type of student.

1. Acknowledge the student's participation and advise him or her that it will be for the benefit of the entire class if her or she can allow other students to express their views and opinions. As a matter of fact, this student can also benefit from reviewing the opinions and viewpoints of others.

2. If the student still continues to "dominate" the session, advise the student that you may have to drop him from Chat sessions during the session if you believe that he or she is not allowing other students to participate in a satisfactory manner.

3. Drop the student from each Chat session that he or she continues to dominate.
Satrohan

This is difficult in a face-to-face classroom, online has to be a nightmare. I would like to get as much information on this as possible.

Jo Anna:
I solicit responses to your search for more information on the Subject from other students in this course.

In my teaching career, I have had numerous "noisy" students; but I taught in a culture and a period in which the 'Teacher is an authority figure, respected etc" not in the current realm where it seems as though students have all the protection they need should they need to be disruptive. I have suspended students for 15 days from class with no retribution from parents. I am not aware of the details of the policies that apply to student conduct. Wemust have codes for both the traditional classroom setting and online setting.

For me, managing a noisy student in a traditional classroom, and online is no different; once there are exisitng policies to manage the situation. I will "throw the book at them" in either situation. I am a firm believer that no student has the right to consistently engage in disruptive behavior to the detriment of the remainder of the class.
Satrohan

Could you please explain what you mean by "throwing the book at them?" In the traditional setting, I talk to the 'noisy'student after class to make them aware of their behavior. If the behavior continues, then I let the administrator handle the situation. If you drop a student from the Chat sessions, do they receive a lower grade b/c they lack participation?

Chrystal:
"Throw the book at them" is a figurative expression meaning to adopt the institution's policies when administring penalties.

Whether the "dropped" student receives a lower grade depends on the agreed upon grading scheme.
Satrohan

Use the noisy student's name and say, "That is a very good response from you"; now let us hear from -- and use a specific student's name -- and repeat this without the noisy one being allowed to respond and if he or she tries to respond, say, "Wait a minute, let's hear from everyone."

With some soft-wares, there is a way to turn off the whole screen to everyone; but the instructor still can monitor what the "noisy student" is saying. This may be specialty software that I use, but it has been very helpful.

Corrine:
Do you think that using that singling out students to respond can lead to lower levels of participation in synchronous discussions, or even attrition?

A determined nosiy student who is bent on disruption is highly liklely to continue the undesired behavior. It's like feeding the fire. The only way I know of to manage such students is to send a private message warning them to stop; or else you will drop them from the session. If they continue, drop them from the session.
Satrohan

Adarine:
Please share with us the name of this software. How do your "quiet" students react when you "disconnect" them from the discussion?
Satrohan

That is what I, as an instructor, would want to do, but that is not always what the director has seen as the resolution. Attrition. So I do still have to "feed the fire" but we have the student, and then I am allowed to let the grade be the reflection.

Corrine:
This could be very discouraging situation for an Instructor. Neevrtheless, you have the policies of your Institution to follow. As you mentioned, you have control over the final grade.
Satrohan

When I have had noisy students in the past, I have encouraged them to not always be the first to respond to all questions and/or assignments, but to watch for responses posted by other students first and then respond to other student's posts with substantive comments relating a point made to their personal situation or adding their own point of view to elaborate upon another student's discussion points. I explain that this is an effective way to learn from each other. This strategy has worked to "quiet" some noisy students.

Mark McMullen

It can be challenging to disciplining a "noisy student". I am currently involved with a noisy student at the present time. What I have found that works with this particular student is to simply encourage her just as I would any other student, but perhaps challenge her in different ways. Posting additional questions for her is the additional push he needs. Some of these individuals just enjoy "attention" from their instructors. I have found that providing consistent positive feedback to this particular individual has been helpful. She is not that great of a student, but this is one of the first times that she has been challenged by her instructors - she tells me this directly. She typically "gets her way" but appreciates the fact that I do not hesitate to critique her on her work, while at the same time providing her the positive feedback she craves.

I usually start by explaining that the purpose of the discussion board is not to evaluate your classmates, but rather an opportunity to demonstrate and prove to me that you understand the course material. I then suggest an appropriate way to respond to the question in order to get the best grade. I give students several tips such as "share an insight or experience from your personal or professional life, discuss information that will extend the debate, etc."

Explaining to the student what you are looking for in the discussion posting is a good idea. Thanks for sharing Vanessa.

I think that my strategy for "correcting" a noisy student has to be a component of my classroom presence. I am fortunate to have a discipline (economics) that most are intimidated by, or they believe that they could make better decisions than any decision-maker.

My discipline for the "noisy" students is swift, but private, and my encouragement for the other students is encouraging, but objective. By the time that they have received feedback on the first 3-4 assignments, I can worry less about either extreme, and focus on the rubric. Some of the noisy students refuse to submit to my discipline, but they have regrets with their final grade - some end up taking my class, again, in the next session...

I have definitely experienced the noisy student. But what I have done to minimize this, is address other students within my discussion/chats. This brings voices out of other students, and allow them the perfect time to chime in.

Sign In to comment