Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Premature exit of an e-learning program

For the student who prematurely exits an e-learning progra, what would be a method of "tactfully bringing them into the participation mainstream"?

Melanie:
The degree to which an Instructor can use tact depends on the reason for the student's premature exit. If I were the Instructor, I would find out the reason for the discontinuation and work within the confines of the policies and procedure of the instituion to see what can be done to bring thestudent back into the class. For example, if the reason is that a student has experienced a personal crisis, I would abide with the recommendations the institution has made to accommodate such situations.
Satrohan

Students leaving my not be within their control. It could be technical such as computer problems or Internet issues. As an instructor I would find out what the issues are first, and provide suggestions to the student on what they may do to resolve the issues.

Rhonda:
Moving into inquiry mode, finding out the reason for premature exit, and doing what is in your control to resolve the problems are the best actions to take. I fully support your approach.
Satrohan

The best way to "re-engage" a student is to send reminder notices regarding missed assignments. In addition, I would send an email to their personal and school address and try to "rekindle" their initial enthusiasm. If done early enough and if the issues are not perceived as overwhelming ... well, the student may become involved again!

I agree, Rosie. If the issues are not ovrwhelming and beyond the student's control, identifying this problem early and taking appropriate measures to re-engage the students could prevent dropping out.
Satrohan

That is a great idea. When you reach out like that with the extras the student feels important and will more than likely come back. Attrition can be prevented with normal circumstances, we just need to use these creative ways to reach them.

Cynthia:
Please share any creative strategies to prevent attrition----you know of or have applied with us. Thnaks!
Satrohan

Satrohan,

I run a medical program and prior to the admission of students to my program I try to get them involved with the current students. I schedule appointments with them to come and see me while they are in gen ed studies. This shows them that I care and also gets them motivated to pass so that they can be admitted into my program.

We also have student appreciation days where we invite current core students and gen ed students.

One other thing I do is I keep all students in contact with me on a yahoo groups page I created. This gives them current info on the field and also any events happening on campus.

Cynthia

Cynthia:
I commend you on these excellent strategies which will certainly go a far way in establishing relationships among your students, and your students and yourself.
Satrohan

I would stay in contact with the students to ensure that there aren't any issues to can be resolved on my part. I would also try to help the student and figure solutions to a problem that is causing the premature exit.

LaTisha:
Personal involvement in helping students to resolve issues that may result in premature exit is an act that demonstrates that you are interested in the student's success. Question for you.

Does your institution have student counsellors who service online students?

If yes, do you think it will be appropriate to direct students to the counsellors for matters that are not course content related?
Satrohan

That depends. Often a student may come to you (literally or virtually) in confidence and may not want other parties involved. Good instruction means that sometimes we have to advise on matters that are not directly related to our course, but impacts our student’s ability to complete the tasks at hand. If we immediately hand them off to a third party that may send the message that we are not interested in our student.

Josefer:
I assume that you mean that you must try to help the student if you can to avoid dropping out. I agree with this suggestion and your rationale behind it.
Satrohan

I am highly concerned with early exits of students. I work for a school where retention is of the highest importance. I am concerned about keeping students who are already problematic in a traditional setting in school online.

Laletrice:
Attrition is a primary concern of many institutions. While these institutions have counsellors to help on-the-ground students, I do not know of any institution that has counsellors dedicated to students in an online environment.

We all know that some students drop courses due to extenuating or unexpected circumstances. We may not be able to retain such students; however, we may be able to grant extensions, encourage them to enroll again at a later time, depending on the reasons for dropping the course.

Retention is a significant challenge. I suggest we accept that a certain percentage of students will drop a course, just as is the case in the traditional classroom setting.
Satrohan

Satrohan

Excellent points posed by all. I would like to add reminding them why they began the course of study in the first place and attempting to re-ignite that passion and drive to succeed for their future'sake.

Pamela:

Great point. I think reminding students why they started their journey in the first place is one of the most important things an instructor can do. Many of us like the idea of doing something, but we tend to lose focus when the going gets tough.

Although we are working within an online environment, I will either email or call the student to discuss the issue. I think the phone is a great option, if possible, in accordance with courseload and number of students.

Lisa

Yes, I have had success in reaching students by phone. It communicates to the student that you care about their success if you take the time to personally call them.

Sign In to comment