Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Engagement

In my online class lecture, I've found a few techniques to engage students in discussion. It can be easy for a student to just log in and look like they are attending the chat without actually engaging the chat. So, I always acknowledge students and greet them by saying their name when they enter the class. I also make sure to call on individuals to answer questions, rather than asking a question to everyone. This controls the responses as well as engages the student at an individual level.

Michael I use similar techniques in my courses. I find that if you address your students by name it really does help to keep them engaged. If you can add in some personal references that you may have learned about them during your initial phone call then they really know that you are listening and you care about them, not only as a student, but as a person as well.

I too use similar techniques when engaging students in discussions. This is especially true in the synchronous discussions.

"I also make sure to call on individuals to answer questions, rather than asking a question to everyone. This controls the responses as well as engages the student at an individual level."

I too employ this approach as I find that it is a successful mechanism for maintaining and encouraging student praticipation.

Sign In to comment