Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I said QUIET!!!!!!!

It's funny to me that some times in a class room when you ask a question (especially if its a general question) everyone in the class answers at the same time. I've had better conversations at a Sammy Hagar concert!!! :)
I can see where this information could not only work on the net but in the class room as well.

Hi Jeff, we have been trying to help learners engage in discussions using critical thinking skills and have included Elder and Paul's Elements of Thought in our requirements for discussion, which has had a huge impact on the statements made by learners on an issue! Tina

Hi Jeff,

You definitely got my attention to your posting! I have even had students email me regarding a couple of students dominating the discussion in the classroom. I have to agree with you on getting anything out of the discussion when everyone is trying to add to the discussion at the same time. Doesn't anyone remember their manners? I know ask the class to raise their hand before they speak, seems to work.

Jeff, one of the things that I do when asking a general question is to ensure that I ask the shy folks to chime in too.

I am referring to chat sessions.

There are always a few who tend to dominate the discussion but the I will say something like "Karen, what are your thoughts on this matter?"

Once folks realize that I will ask everyone to share their thoughts they tend to back off on their own recognizing that I ask everyone.

I have had lots of experiences where certain students not only dominate the conversations, but also talk aloud off topic during studio time. I am no sure where the manners have gone.

Hi Jenni, we have started posting netiquette rules to help overcome some of these issues and it has reduced the number of occurences. Tina

I do have a few students that always answer the questions at the same time-even if they are incorrect. I will be researching "netiquette rules A.S.A.P.

Hi Annie, you may want to look at Virginia Shea's netiquette rules. Stephen Brookfield also talks about dispositions of discussion, which help encourage professional discussions. Tina

The nice thing about the online environment is that everyone has the opportunity to share their answer through the chat box.

I teach in an asynchronous classroom, and one of the tactics that I find really useful is asking the more dominant students (through email) to help me locate and draw out the more quiet students in the discussion areas. I have found that this helps balance the communication in the discussion boards AND provides the more reticent students with additional support.

Hi Martha,

Me too, I agree Jeff title is attention grabbing. I like your suggestion of raising their hands. In Adobe breeze chat, we have icons that students click when they want to ask a question or speak, which is essentially "posting" in the chat pod since students do not normally have the audio facility. So I encourage students to post their question in "chat pod" and either answer as I go (if it is a very specific Q related to what I am saying that needs to be answered instantly) or use intervals to scan through the chat pod. It takes a good deal of multi tasking and to ensure that I have addressed all the questions; I have a formal Q&A session for making sure that everything is covered. My class size is in 30+ ranges ; so I make sure not to close a chat without asking if I have answered all the questions. It would be interesting to know if you have any tips to share. Thank!

Hi Janice, what kind of strategies do the dominant students use to draw them out? Tina

I ask my more talkative students to email and/or post questions or compliments to the more quiet students. This peer-to-peer encouragement has worked really well with some students who I suspect want to talk but are not sure how their ideas will be received. It also helps the more assertive students hone leadership skills and learn how sitting back and encouraging others to talk can benefit them/bring out new ideas.

Hi Janice, that is a great idea. Tina

Interesting. My online courses have always been where only the professor speaks and the students can type in. I guess this prevents the problems that you have in online courses where the students all have access to audio.

Samantha,
I agree that it does resolve some problems. It also can limit student participation in learning. So it may be a double-edged sword. The instructors style and the instructional environment can mean major factors toward determining which approach is better suited.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

I always have students that must voice their opinion even if not asked. Having respect for their fellow classmate is essential to good learning and personal growth within the subject matter.

When we have discussions, I go around the room and ask for individual contributions that are timed. There also is a timed rebuttle.

Everyone gets to speak and listen to the responses.

Julie,
you have a good point. Students who use the chat room can help each other discuss things in detail.

Concetta ,
Your balanced approach to speaking and listen for all sounds good.

Jesse,
Cooperate and Graduate is the battle cry. ;-]

Sign In to comment