Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Discussion Threads

Question: What types of threads work best -- multiple threads by topic or one super-thread for all to converse in?
I have have tried both I prefer the multipe thread approach for discussion content purposes but the super thread is good for socializing.

I like to use multiple threads myself. When a thread gets too long and complex, I think there is a tendency to not want to read it. I like to start at least two new threads per week to ask new questions and start discussions focused on each week's learning objectives.

The multiple threads are my preference. Every student is responsible for creating their own thread and respond to the discussion question. They are then responsible for responding to at least two of their peer postings. I have many students that will respond more than the requirement because they enjoy being part of the discussions.

I also use multiple threads so that the thoughts of the students are more organized and easy for other students to read. Disorganization discourages students from participating in the class.

I must agree that both are good to use, but in my opinion, multiple threads keep the students motivated and wanting to enter the platform to see what is being asked next. This also gives students who are late-comers each week are not dealing with old business for the early-posters.

I'm with Jeanette here. Ater a while, one thread can get so long that it's too difficult to follow it. Multiple threads also have their drawbacks, but usually they will attract the student who is particularly interested in that one thread, and so is motivated to follow it through.

I feel that it all depends on the dynamics of each individual class

I agree that the super thread is much better for socializing. If managed correctly I think the super thread can also be as effective as the multi-thread for discussion content, but it must be actively watched and contributed frequently to by the instructor.

I studied online and felt that the multi-thread discussions worked better since it was easier for me as a student to focus on the posts of those who demonstrated interesting thoughts, or a commitment to the class and avoid those who seemed uninterested or wanted to vent about their problems etc.

I currently teach at a school that favors the large thread. I like that it makes it easier to place the some of the related conversations in context since I am able to cross-reference them more easily but I see less participation overall than I remember my classes in school using.

Having one large thread is certainly a way for all students to be part of the discussion, but also a way for them to not engage as much. It is a challenge. Thanks for your post.

I enjoy once discussion per week. I have been teaching online courses for over 3 years and definitely believe that a moderate amount of interaction in the discussion boards by the instructor is critical for several reasons. First it lets students know you are actively engaged in the course and are reading their posts. This I believe motivates them to more actively participate in the forums and to be conscious of the quality of their postings. Second, giving positive and constructive feedback to their posts helps to steer the discussion in the intended direction and ensure student misconceptions are corrected. Third, it allows you as the instructor to interject your own personality into the course - this is, I believe, a good vehicle for the students to get to know YOU as the instructor. It is also your chance as the instructor to build your credibility with the students both as a subject matter expert and a motivated instructor who cares about student success!

I also think the discussion thread is really essential to the online courses. A well managed discussion thread - single thread or multi-thread - fosters learning in the class. The instructor can use this as a platform to challenge students, encourage them to apply their experience to the concepts, among other things. I think the multiple thread approach is easier to manage because different thoughts and topics can be compartmentalized in their own threads.

I actually have. The reason was because the discussion questions were not good quality questions, so I can understand why the colleagues thought it was a waste of everybodies time. Discussion is the interactive component and if we do it right and strengthen online discussions, it can increase student learning.

I think that multiple threads by topic is the best approach. I feel this way because I have found that single threads seem to cause students to lose focus on what the thread is about. They seem to wander from subject to subject and responses become hard to follow. Focusing on an individual topic seems to be easier for the students to stay engaged and on topic.

I agree John! It also helps the instructor monitor participation and it is easier to weave the discussion. Tina

I agree. I've used multiple threads as a way of simply extending the conversation. I've had students mention on course evaluations that they hate "rote" threads that really seem go nowhere. Oftentimes, I've seen cases where everything really has been said and I'm needed to step in and give the conversation some new direction. I also use youtube videos as a way of spurring discussion.

Thanks,
Rodney

Sign In to comment