Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging learners

How should you attempt to engage or encourage cooperation with students that has difficulty formulating there words with the english language?

I usus ally do this by asking them questions based on what they have posted. This way, they are still within their own thinking. Another way is, I probe into what they have said by making it seem that they still have more to say, but held back on some information.

I am interested in your last idea. Can you give me more information about how you do that?

Sounds interesting Ray. Can you share a little more about the "Game Shows?" What specifically do you do? Thanks

That sounds like a great idea! I would like to learn more about your "game shows".

I am not sure what kind of game shows Ray uses, but it has been my experience that trivia works really well to engage students. If you create teams, keep score, and encourage a little friendly competition, students seem to get more excited about the material.

Great idea Kelly! Is there a specific format you use?

Kelly and Others,
This concept of a game show sounds great but I am wondering how it could be applied to asynchronous discussion. Also, like others have asked, what kind of platform would be used? I wonder if there is a free resource online that allows for such games. I like the idea of a simple "jeopardy" type of game utilizing the course content. This could work well with definitions.

Sign In to comment