Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Asynchronous Discussions

According to the course material, asynchronous discussions tend to be "more deliberate and detailed" than typical instructor-led discussion. This isn't always the case -- looking at the discussions for this course, for example, entries typically are very brief and are asking questions of Satrohan. As instructors, we need to consider what aspects of course design encourage asynchronous discussions and when it is important for learning. In this class, we are required to participate in the discussion for at least one module -- that means that there will likely be less participation than if we were required to participate in all modules. Students can start the course at any time -- so we may be more dependent on the instructor for responses than we would be in an online class with fixed start and end dates. So what instructional designs encourage more indepth online discussions? Assigning discussion topics for online discussion? Grading the online discussion and providing a scoring rubric up front?

Cheryl:
Previously, students of this course were required to participate in fours Discussion Forums----one for each Module. MaxKnowlede has decreased that number to one with the hope that the"brief" entries will disappear and students will engage in more indepth participation in the one Discussion Forum.

Even though students can start the course at any time, I believe you still have access to the course for a period of time after completion. Moreover, you have access to the contents of all Discussion Forums in the course-----from its inception.

Both strategies you mention towards the ending of your response will promote higher levels of participation----assigning Discussion Questions, grading them, and making the grades part of the final grade. Other strategies ae:

Providing students with your expectations of their level of participation upfront.

Monitoring the Discussion thread, providing summary feedback, and managing the direction of the Discussion until the thread has been exhausted.

Assigning "strong" Discussion Questions---ones that will generate interest and result in meaningful and prolonged postings.

Keeping the number of Discussion questions to a minimum so that students have adequate time to research and compose intelligent answers.

Providing adequate response time.

Adopting peer-evaluations of students' contributions.

Satrohan

Folks

Those are great strategies. I do find that a rubric helps. So does having a high profile as an online instructor. All too often I have read instructors comments about not having involvement and seeing very little involvement by them in the classroom.

John

My strategy to encourage and facilitate learning up front is to make clear what course expectations are. I do this by posting Course Expectations and Scoring Rubric documents in the Instructor Files. I encourage students to read these documents before they work on any assignments.

Mark McMullen

One point that troubled me was that we were advised to post to Discussion Boards AFTER the assignment was closed. I'm wondering why. Almost no one returns to a Board to read material once the assignment is finished. Why shouldn't an instructor post when everyone else is posting?

Are you referencing a specific point in this module? I don't recall the specific point that you are referencing. Can you give me more information so I can better respond? Thanks Kendra.

I agree that a high-profile online instructor is extremely important. Students like to know that their work is being monitored and appreciated.

Way back in the day when I was doing my student teaching for my K-12 career, I remember some of my experiences being with instructors who taught me "how not to be". I have found that the few online courses I have experienced as a student clearly identified that the presence, or lack thereof, of the instructor was one important key to student motivation.

Sign In to comment