Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Synchronous and Asynchronous discussions

Does the instructor need to research to see what will need to be taught asynchronous or synchronous? I think so because I like to bring in 'real world' scenarios. I would introduce this material in a synchronous (chat) session.

Laletrice:
Instructors should apply their own judgment and choose the right method of delivery that they believe would enable the students to engage in meaningful learning experiences and acheive thedesired learning outcomes. Real world scenarios can be introduced during Chat sessions; however, the remainder of the learning activities related to the scenarios might be better handled in an asynchronous format.
Satrohan

I agree. The important element of an asynchronous learning environment is that the students decide when it is convenient for them to participate!

Thanks!

John:
Quite true; students can participate in asynchronous discussion forums at the time convenient to them while abiding with any response time specified and as long as the Discussion Forum remains accessible. Pleasew share with us another benefit of asynchronous discussions.
Satrohan

Satrohan,

Is it possible to have an effective synchronous interchange with the entire class other than a "Chat" technique which I see as being a one-on-one student/instructor interface and not allowing for other students to enter the discussion="fray' in real time?

Herschel & Satrohan,

I believe that Herschel is raising an important question. This class seems to assume that synchronous discussions are only online discussions. However, I have facilitated classes that include both online (with power point and chat) and audio conferencing. If there are a small number of students (as recommended in the course material), such audio exchanges can be very helpful.

Cheryl Wild

Herschel:
Yes. Synchronous Discussion forums can be set up to allow participation of all students in your class at the same time.
Satrohan

Cheryl:
Audio- as well as video-conferencing are suitable delivery supporting technologies as long as both the institutions and the students have access to them. We still have to consider the practicality of scheduling students for these sessions. Perhaps with a small group of students scheduling will be easier.
Satrohan

Would it benefit splittig the class into groups and hold multiple synchronous discussions on the same topic so all students can participate. You could split them into time zones, which would solve one problem, or even later in the class those who participate and those who don't.

All of the strategies you have suggested are practical, Martin; as long as you have to dedicate the time to multiple sessions. Archiving the results of each session and providing access to all students to all sessions is also a good idea.
Satrohan

Which type of discussion do you find to be more beneficial, asynchronous or synchronous? In the traditional classroom setting, I find that some of my students seem to learn from one-on-one attention. During class, I have students with dominant personalities that intimidate the 'shy' students.

Chrystal:
Please state thepurpose of the discussion and I will advise which format is suitable. I strongly believe students will learn more with "one-on-one" attention in an online environment also. Do you think you can afford to provide that level of attention?

Questions
How di dyou manage your "dominant" students in an on-the-ground setting?

How will you manage such students in an online environment?
Satrohan

Well, I will be teaching a medical terminology course. I imagine that we will be discussing the terminology and how it applies in the clinical setting. I feel that it would be naive on my part to try to give one-on-one attention to every student in each online class b/c I will also still be teaching in the traditional classroom setting.

Question 1: I would ask the dominant student to allow someone else to answer questions. I make sure that they are aware that while it's ok to be eager/ready to learn, they have to show they are team players, too, by allowing others to express themselves too. If that doesn't work, then I have a personal conversation with them outside of class. I let them know how their behavior is affecting the class and the other students.

Question 2: I would attempt the same method in the online environment. I welcome any suggestions.

Chrystal:
Give the method a try in the Online environment. This is a soemwhat novel situation; so I have no historical data on the basis of which to make any suggestions. Most Instructors have to deal with "noisy" students, procrastinators, and other undesirable student types in an online environment; no the "dominant" type.

I am trying to visualize how someone can dominate an asynchronous discussion forum. That may not be easy to do. Dominating a Chat session----yes; I can see that happening.

Here my take. And this is for Asynchronous discussions only. Let's assume the "dominant" student is also a bright student. The more intelligent postings he or she makes, the better it should be for the class. On the other hand, if he or she posts below average responses---just for the sake of responding to every posting-----I suspect that the other students will take "counter-action" to the point that the "dominant" student eventually fades away.
Satrohan

When I was doing my undergraduate studies I attended an online school where they used chat features for a lecture types session and for the learning teams. Eventually they did away with the lecture type and frankly I did not missed that. But they also did away with the group chat which I did miss. I think it was great when trying to put a group project together being able to communicate in real time.

Yes, I think it would be helpful to be able to communicate with your teammates when working on a group project. It is great having your perspective as a former online student. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the group.

Hello All,
Most of the assignments in my class are Asynchronous ( like discussion boards), However we have a live chat feature that allows students to be there (Synchronous) and for students to listen back to at any time (Asynchronous). For the students who listen back to the chat archive, I encourage them to email me with questions if they have any. I find that students love that they do not have to wait on a response from me if they have a question about the assignment because they can listen back to chat.

I agree Dr. Ernst. I think the more tools given to students for a group project when it comes to communication is essential for a good outcome.

Providing students the opportunity to listen to recorded chats when they can't attend the live chat is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it with the group.

Sign In to comment