Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Small Synchronous Discussions

I am confused as to how to lead a small group of 5 or 6 in synchronous discussions with a class size of 30+ students. Do I require only a chosen few for each module to participate? With four modules this would allow for each student to participate in at least one synchronous discussion. Please advise.

Debra:
Please check to see whether the Course Delivery Platform on which your course is delivered supports archiving the results of synchronous discussion forums. If it does, then this is what I recommend for that class size.

Go ahead and conduct small group discussion forums, and provide students access to the archived results of the discussion forums in which they were unable to participate.

While this is not the perfect solution, it is as close as we can get to allow participation and sharing the knowledge of the results of other forums.
Satrohan

Debra-
I find it helpful to use the list of students who are in the classroom as a guide. For example, usually you can see the names of all participants on the side of the screen. I explain the procedure to them stating we are starting with the first person and she gets to answer the question first. Then the next one and so on.

I have found this to be very productive.

Kathryn

I like this organized approach to the discussion. I think it helps the reserved student know when to participate and have a designated place of recognition; and, it helps to manage the more aggressive student by providing an organized discussion.

Great points Fred. Thanks for sharing with the group.

The online classes I teach have about 30 students, but only about 5 or 6 usually are there live for the chat. I can record and archive the class sessions so that all of the other students can view it when it is convenient to them.

This system works pretty well. However, since attendance is not required, every once in a while only one student will show up, or none at all. Any ideas on how to combat that problem?

One idea might be to provide information that they can't get anywhere else--maybe a tip about the upcoming assignment, or the answer to a question on an upcoming test. Another idea might be to provide extra credit, but that is not something I necessarily advocate at the college level. Of course, I think the best idea would be to provide an exciting and engaging chat so that students want to attend.

Debra, I was going to ask the same question you asked.

Then, after reading all this thread, I wondered if using the small group area to hold synchronous discussions with the members of the group would allow a place for these discussions for a small number of participants as opposed to the entire class type of synchronous discussion.

I am required to hold an entire class synchronous discussion each week, and I do. However, I think that perhaps I could hold an "extra" synchronous discussion with each small group in the small group chat area on one day a week. For instance, Group Ace's "extra" discussion could be held on Tuesday night. Group Bravo's "extra" discussion could be help on Wednesday night. Group Creators' "extra" discussion could be held on Saturday morning. Group Dynamos' session could be held on Saturday afternoon. Using the students' time zones, I would select the times for the "extra" chats as best I could. When groups are formed, they are normally grouped by time zone, anyway.

Debra, what is your opinion regarding my plan?

April

Sign In to comment