Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online chats

I think that if students wanted to feel a presence from their instructor they would attend the online chats. I think that is one thing that students like about online education they can do it themselves.
Janis

Janis,

I would argue that students feel your presence as an instructor in an online course in many more ways than just online chats. They can certainly feel connected with you in LIVE sessions; however, the feedback you provide on assignments and forum postings and the timeliness in which you provide that feedback establishes as much presence as live sessions.

Herbert Brown III

The course I am currently in I gave up going to the online chats because the professor was not moderating it. It was more like a cocktail party than an intelligent exchange. If it is going to be used the prof needs to maintain control of it. When I run a chat room I will make sure to pay attention and guide the conversation when needed.
Paul

Paul,

Well put regarding moderated online chats. I am not sure why your instructor would even have an online chat if they are not in it to moderate it and direct the discussion.

Herbert Brown III

Janis,

I agree. I have had students whine about not having a live chat, until one is offered that they don't show up for.

Sincerely,

Vince

Janis: You are mostly correct on this topic, but I think there are more elements of importance. For example; online chats provide a way for presence through voice and video image of the instructor when used, but this is also when there is a more direct feeling of classroom interaction. Discussion boards are not real-time unless they are directly set up to be that way. Live chats are always real time unless the student chooses to view the archive. However, even the archive does not allow for real time questions, answers, and full interaction from all students who are in the class chat during a particular session. These additional elements make the chats more than just a presence. They make the entire session more interactive for the students as well as the instructor. This gives the presence of traditional learning experiences while still online.

Yes, the instructor should be available as much as possible, including being in the online chats to help students work through the concepts they are learning.

Erika,

Do you use online chats? When you say online chats, do you mean live video conferencing too? I find myself doing more live audio/video sessions with students now to help them through class issues. At least to help those that choose to connect and get the help.

Herbert Brown III

Online chats are important to have and show the students that you are there for them and help them with the assignments as needed. Students that want to feel the presences of an instructor is because they want to make sure that the instructors are available at anytime. With the online chat that I conduct I might have 3 of 10 students show up at any one time. I have 2 chats a week at different times of the day so those that work during the day can attend the night chats and those that work at night can attend the day chats. Then you get those students that do not attend either chat and during my office hours I try to connect with them to make sure that everything is going good and that they understand the assignments.

Kevin,

I like how you provide the students with several days a week at different times to meet their diverse schedules. I do something very similar and the students that need extra help will connect and those that don't need the extra help don't connect. However, that allows me to focus on the students that need the extra help. It has worked well for me.

Herbert Brown III

Sign In to comment