Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Posting of points in written assignments

Though I am learning to appreciate the online posting of points received for written assignments and the reflection of "model" responses, I do wonder about posting feedback. I have sent individual emails to students about corrections and feedback (like written feedback in traditional classrooms), to avoid "losing face" or embarassment, though this is quite time-consuming. My training regarding confidentiality may also be playing a large role in my reluctance. Any suggestions offered regarding how best to utilize online, public feedback?

While I haven't taught any artistic classes, I have observed many of them, and one of the things that always strikes me is how quickly students adjust to having their worked critiqued in front of the entire class. The key is that everyone has to put their work at the front of the class for criticism and that the feedback is constructive. I would suggest establishing similar rules if you want to critique student work (in this case class discussions) in a public forum.

Robin:

I do reply to students that are incorrect in the discussion forum but do so lightly and point them in the right direction without adding embarrassment.

I normally ask them another question or provide them with a page number in the book that they can reference. I teach Accounting so have learned that the earlier I can get a student "on-board" the better. If they are not understanding the information right away I give them a chance to do the assignment over. I also welcome phone calls and assist as much as I can via a phone call, Skype, IM, or some other avenue.

I also allow students to e-mail me their assignments before being submitted for a grade and will provide them feedback and page numbers to reference without providing answers.

You are correct that this is time consuming but I feel that I have really helped students in grasping a difficult subject. I love getting the "aha's" within the online environment and love the energy of students when they grasp a concept.

Kim

I like the idea of providing feedback and page numbers but not the actual answer. I would imagine this is a great teaching technique for accounting.

Michele

When I post discussion or assignment feedback, I try to always word it in such a way that every student knows it applies to them. I sometimes even use the words, "This applies to each of you. Be sure to ...." It doesn't take long for the students to realize I am trying to help each of them when I answer to one of them. of course, the suggestions to keep it "light" are excellent suggestions!

I like this tactic because it certainly requires every student to read all the posts. I don't think all students read all posts right now. Whereas, when I teach in the residential classroom, I expect students to listen to their peers all the time. The students that don't read all the posts are missing out on the exchange of their peers which can be a great learning experience. Thanks for sharing Gregory.

I have found it useful to talk in generalities about common errors students have made, then ask students if they would like to discuss their particular assignment as an example. Often times, a few students request to have their work critiqued in this manner.

Just for clarification, do you share the critique with all the students or just the one that voluteered to have their work reviewed?

Sign In to comment