Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Presence/motivation in the classroom

Hello Colleagues,
These are some of the tools I have been using. Let me know your feedbacks.

Motivation in the classroom
I believe that it starts from the beginning of the class as we first encounter the students. The teacher/facilitator sets the tone in the classroom and students take their cues from him/her.
I will illustrate step by step how motivation can actually be “created “and sustained in the online class. I have already used most of these tools and intend to “tweak” them even more in the upcoming sessions.
1-First impressions are key: I send each of my students a welcome note on the first day of class discussing the benefits of the course for their career and the best way to succeed in a distance learning environment. Spell check and on time assignment submissions are mentioned. I make this email upbeat and helpful. I set a tone of clear expectations and camaraderie.
2- Announcements: I place fun or enticing titles to spark their curiosities. I like to place a very happy “Welcome to class” post. I want them to feel as if they are part of a team.
3-Weekly notes: Every Sunday, I post a note in the classroom and reiterate how far the students have come and congratulate them for their participation. I am also proactive and discuss in advance difficult assignments and give them tools to be successful.
4-Webliography updates: It is important to keep refreshing the Webliography and send students to different links to reinforce certain topics and assist them in their research. Students feel that the instructor is really coaching them and that they are not alone in their learning process.
5-Discussions: I post additional questions regarding the weekly subjects to further the information or ask their opinions on related matters.
6- Gradebook: I use the comment section to acknowledge success and place many exclamations points (Great job!!!, Excellent effort!!!). I gently give them advice to better their grades and reinforce what is well done in their posts. I offer my assistance if I see that they are struggling with a particular subject.
7- Emails during the session: I email students who are behind/not passing on a weekly basis. I let them know that we can find options for them and that I am here to help them. I want them to know that their success matters and I remind them of their ultimate goals…a new career!
8-Prompt responses: Nothing is more important for a student that to have their concern addressed promptly. I sign in my classes every day to answer questions.

I have used the above tools so far and have gotten good results. I want to continue these but also add more positive reinforcements and a more personal approach.

Those are some terrific tips Isabelle! I especially like how you use fun or enticing titles to get their attention. And, of course, words of encouragement go a long way to motivate students.

Thanks for sharing all of your great ideas on how to motivate your students!

Hello Isabelle,

I can totally relate when you stated that the motivation begins at the beginning of the course. I also post a very personal Welcome note on the first day of the course and it usually includes academic achievements and also includes hobbies and information about family. You would be surprised at the number of responses I receive from the students because I stated that I had a six-year old in soccer or a teenager who needs employment. In addition, I also use e-mails, announcements, daily notes, weekly notes, and reminders. Even a simple, "Hello" or a word of encouragement for a daily note can really keep the relationship personal and open up the lines of communication. I have found that different colors and the use of bold, larger fonts, and different text also adds a bit of excitement. Thanks for sharing your tools and I will also "tweak" as well as make additions to try to make the course as successful as possible.

Thank you for sharing your ideas as well LaToya! You had some great ideas of your own to share!

Hello Isabelle!

I enjoyed reading your tips! I use many of those tips you mention, but some of them I do not. I look forward to taking some of these ideas back to my classroom.

One thing that I use in my classroom that I find to be motivating for the students is a student of the week. Or, as I call it "Rockstar Student" of the week. As you mentioned in your post, I too send out weekly emails. On Sunday I send my weekly email and at the end I recognize the "Rockstar Student" and explain why that student shined for the week. It really motivates the students!

I really like your idea of a "Rockstar Student." Thanks for sharing the idea.

Michele

Motivation, at first glance, was something I was wondering about in distance teaching. After reading your post it is more clear now. Thanks!

Staying in contact is critical. The saying of "out of sight, out of mind" applies to online classes. When students do not "see" instructors, they begin to think that no one is watching and their work will decline.

Isabelle,

I subscribe to your thoughts about keeping students motivated; however, I struggle with that line between being an instructor that requires hardwork and perseverance and the teacher who wants to be your friend. I am glad to build a relationship with the student, but how do you let the student know this is a professional relationship and not a personal relationship. I don't want them to try to use the relationship to garner special attention. I can obviously control my end of the relationship, but how do you control their thoughts?

Jeff

I know you directed your question to Isabelle, but I am going to make an attempt at answering it.

First, I don't want to be a student's friend. I would rather be their teacher and mentor. Second, I don't think you can control anyone's thoughts, but you can set expectations and limits from the beginning. And if you stick to those expectations, then you should be ok.

i totally agree that you cannot control someones thoughts, but the student does need someone that he can look up to and be motivated by. if we as instructors are not motivated than how can we expect the student to be

Terrific point Jay!

I love all the things you are using to get students involved and to stay motivated. At one institution I teach at we have the option to have live chats; Students can come to the live chats or listen back to the archives. During the chats we discuss task requirements for upcoming assignments and any other questions the students may have. Many students attend the chats live and report they feel more connected and not so lost when it comes to course assignments. It also gives us a chance to set aside some time at each chat to get to know one another better.

Sarah,
I love this idea of having a "Rockstar Student of the Week." Besides sending it out in an email do you post an announcement as well? Offer bonus points?

It is a great idea to set time aside during a live chat so students can get to know each other better. Having the opportunity to connect with other students can be a challenge for some online students so it is nice that you are making that extra effort.

Even though your questions were directed at Sarah, I am going to throw my two cents in as I don't know if Sarah is still in the discussion.

I think posting an announcement and sending an email is a good idea. I find that some students are more deligent about checking the announcements and others are better at checking email. If you do both, regardless of the topic, you are much more likely to connect with more students.

I have a personal policy of not offering bonus points or extra credit. I just don't think it belongs in college arena.

These are great ideas. You're right that motivation starts from the beginning of class. This really sets the tone. It's very difficult to go back later on and try to change the atmosphere of the class. I think students feel more comfortable if you present a solid first impression and they know what the instructor expects from them. I will take your suggestion of the weekly notes. I think the students would feel better if they can see that they are progressing in the right direction. By discussing difficult assignments in advance, it gives them confidence to tackle it rather than be scared of it.

It is also helpful when you have taught a class before and you get a better feel for what concepts/assignments students struggle with understanding.

I try to make the class enjoyable and fun for the students. I want them to want to be there, and not feel forced or dread being there. I make a lot of jokes and constantly tell them how much I enjoy my job (I am an attorney who teaches a Business Law and Ethics class - the class is hybrid - half online and half in the classroom). I generally do not give extra credit and only allow make-up work if the student contacts me before the class and gives me a legitimate reason why he/she will not be there.

great approach. i usually start the class with motivational talks , especially guidance to them highering their studies especially in the medical field, ways to go about getting hired in a good hospital , letting them know about the job availability and mostly how an institute can provide scholarship if they proof themselves to be a good asset to the institution.i guide them regarding early volunteering so they build network and how they can infiltrate what they experience in their education

Sign In to comment