Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our authority will be respected when we earn that respect...

It is generally the case that students will have respect for their instructors just because it is a cultural norm. Most students respect the fact that their instructors know their subject area and their expertise. However, it is also necessary that students sense that their instructors respect them as well. If they do not sense this, they will feel intimidated and may not feel comfortable approaching the instructor for help. Attrition can only be high in this situation.

Great point Mary. How do you go about communicating to your students that you respect them?

I include a personal message to the students in the syllabi or in a welcome message at the start of class that states quite literally "I will respect each one of you and treat you as my peers and I ask for that same respect in return while you are participating in forum discussions and any other online interactions". I try to address each student individually and make them feel included no matter how well or not they comprehend the material. I try to "connect" with each student and let them know that thier success is personally important to me and that I will do everything ethically in my power to assist them in succeeding in thier coursework. I like to make myself available through the chat room at various times that are not required by the syllabus to just chat and discuss anything they want (sports, classwork, hobbies, interests, etc...) to help foster the idea that I am still human and a real person and not just a computer moniter or grading machine. There is a fine line here though in that I cannot get too familiar with my students to maintain the authority level. I find that politely sidestepping issues I am uncomfortable talking about online in the "free" chat sessions works well and sometimes I just say "that is not a topic that we can discuss in this setting and one that should be kept out of professional discussions whether they are casual or official".

You have some great ideas Matt! Thank you very much for sharing all of them with us!

Matt

Your ideas are very good ones. Personally, I find that students respect instructors the most who are on top of their job and genuinely interested in the students well being and educational success much more than credentials alone.

John

I totally agree. I always speak in a respectful manner to my students - never criticizing them even for poor assignments or bad grammar. I will direct them to resources for them to improve!

Mark McMullen

One strategy is to never take offense when a student challenges me. By patiently and respectfully responding even to a student who is challenging me, I find that I maintain my authority and earn the respect of my students.

Respect needs to be in its place in the class room.
Students respect for instructors.
Instructors respect for students.
This will make or break the student’s willingness to learn.
Sometimes I will have a student that shows no respect.
With students like this, I keep my dignity and still show respect to them.
Most of the time they come around and start showing respect to me.

The sharing of respect certainly helps to create a positive learning environment for everyone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Charles.

Ahhh a great point, Mary. I have taken in-services provided by instructors where I've taught and thought on my goodness-this person is treating me this way-AND is representing the school by teaching students with their demeanor and attitude. Because we are behind a computer screen doesn't give us any right to treat others disrespectfully.

Absolutely Lisa! Treating students with respect is a great way to earn respect from them.

There is a fine line between teaching and learning, IMHO.

I am not sure I know what you mean Lisa, but I can tell you when I teach, I am always learning new things from my students!

Good post Mary. I always post a bio in each of my classes explaning what I bring to the table.

Sign In to comment