Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sense of Belonging

At our school, we are constantly applauded and appreciated for our ability to be there for our students. They have the sense of belonging to a family. They know how dedicated their instructors are and how invested they are in their success. Demographically speaking from our market research, many of our students need this sense of belonging as motivation to succeed. As we transition some courses to be hybrid in nature, how can we continue to give them that needed sense of belonging? I agree with the exchange of biographical information and the commitment of the instructor but what else can be done to ensure a real sense of belonging to a "family" in the online arena?

Toni:
Hybrid courses will involve studenst coming into the classromm for some sessions; so there will be some sense of belonging. These are my suggestions. I am assuming that the course is fourteen weeks in duration.

The first session should be in class.

Emcourage students to form groups depending on their locale and to meet regularly even if it is just for "shooting the breeze" or "letting out steam".

If there are group projects, use in-class sessions for students to present their projects.

Whenever possible, schedule in-class sessions every three weeks.

Include a "Meet the Instructor" forum and conduct weekly Chat sessions with all students.

This is as much as I can offer without knowing the true nature of the hybrid course. I encourage other students in this course to share other suggestions.

Satrohan

I think the sense of belonging is achieved via engaging in dialouge; i.e., phone, email, chat, postings, etc. It is, however, up to the instructor to take the initiative to get things going and not let things grow stagnent. If the latter happens then a disconnect could occur. But, as long as the student is interested in the committment and the instructor upholds their end, then a sense of belonging can be achieved.

Ed:
I can assure you that if "things grow stagnant", there will definitely be a disconnect that will most likely be difficult to reconnect or slow to re-ignite. Dialogue maintains momentum in a traditional classroom setting, as well as in an online environment.
Satrohan

All excellent ideas thus far. In addition I would like to add the idea of a Buddy System - the pairing up of two students to watch each others backs, for academic and moral support etc. This is based on the idea that sometimes its easier to exercise when you know your buddy is depending on you to show up. They can also quiz each other and explain difficult concepts to each other.

Pamela:
The buddy system will certainly work for assisting each other; for example, explaining difficult concepts. Buddy systems seem to form naturally in classsroom environments. I do not know how successful it will be if the instructor does the pairing. Perhaps suggesting that this option is available may be enough.

Students who do not know each other may not be open to Quizzing each other. And these activities will require additional time. To what degree the slower learners will benefit from such system remains questionable as they are the ones likely to be short on time, and to lack understanding.

In short, it is certainly a good idea. The logistics of implementing this online has to be given soem deep thought.
Satrohan

From my experience the buddy system only works when the instructor is involved and can hear what is transpiring between the others. I have had students advise giving the wrong information. It is so very important to share with the instructor the information being passed on.

I have had really bright students and everyone just assumes they know about everything and will take what they say as correct. I always as my students to share with me anything another student has helped them with.

A hybrid class primarily consistenting of on campus instruction and discussion seems to address the important issue of having students feel a strong sense of belonging. The first session being a setting to share bio information, both instructor and student, in person. Students in this type of hybrid class will do assignments online between on campus sessions with easy access to insructor feedback.

I agree with you Gina that by providing an opportunity for sharing of bio information in the very first session sets the stage for providing a sense of belonging. Continuing to provide opportunities for sharing throughout the course is a way to continue to develop that sense of belonging. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic.

Michele

The class that I'll be teaching starts soon and my plan is to start off with bio information but as you mentioned, to continue that interaction throughout our on campus six class sessions. As well, students will have an email address in which they can email me any time, with a 24 hour turn around time. I liked the tips on using underlining, colors, bold, and emoticons to communicate feelings through the email. Another pointer I found useful is how to bring in the quiet or dependent student, to help facilitate their sense of belonging by touching on their areas of interest and strength, fostering some independence and bringing them into discussions via online, email, and/or in person.

Well said Gina. A goal of having a 24 hour turn around time is very admirable. I encourage you to continue to think of new ways to engage your learners and implement then in your virtual classroom.

Toni:

I used to teach Hybrid course in which 3 hours was spent in the classroom and an additional hour was spent doing virtual or online assignments. This allowed for the sense of belonging for this type of set-up.

I 100% agree with the sharing of biographical information and make sure that I respond to their information by commenting on something that they listed that is personal in nature. I have found that this makes online students feel like they are a part of something. The responses need to be done several times a day in the first couple of days of the course. I respond to every student that posts information about themselves.

I have found that my students communicate more via discussion posting when they see that I am posting daily (or try to post daily) as well. I try to respond to 3 different students each night to make sure that I am responding to each student every week.

I find that I can set aside 15-20 minutes each night to respond to students.

I also try to grade their assignments as they come in but at times cannot do so because of the nature of the assignment.

I do send weekly reminders and send and post announcements on items that I find on YouTube and avenues that some of our students view quite often and like. Of course, there is a lot of bad information on YouTube but have found some useful webcasts that help my students.

Kim

Looking at the larger picture for entirely online courses, it is possible to create a community. I use study groups where students can talk to each other and ask questions to each other. I also encourage them to email and ask questions outside of tasks as well. I use synchronous chats and ask ice breaker questions in each of the chats. Some of the questions are silly like which animal would you be and why or more serious like if you could spend a day with any person, who would you spend it with. It adds a sense of belonging and adds the interaction of a classroom to build community. In the class that I teach, I don't use group projects, but that is another way to build community in an all online class. I usually teach larger classes and notice that most students are responded to on asynchronous chats (each student is required to respond to two other stuents). If someone doesn't have response, I respond to them. It helps everyone feel that they belong.

Terrific suggestions Lisa. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Toni, there is wonderful your school shows you appreciation. I find it odd we are to engage, encourage, and empower our students, but yet as instructors we seldom are :-( I believe we all deserve to be patted on the back every-now-and then.

Doesn't frequent interaction with the faculty seem to begin a sense of belonging?

Certainly quality student/faculty interaction helps to build the community within the classroom and make a student feel like they are a part of the class and the institution. I think taking the time to get to know each student is also helpful in making students feel like you are interested in helping them succeed. Thanks for your comments James.

Sign In to comment