Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Timely submission of work

Are there any suggestions on how to get students to submit work on time in the absence of a late work policy ?

William:
This is a tough question to answer. we cna advise them upfront of the importance of on-time submissions; we can tailor the assignments in such a way that progression through the course depends on successful completion of the assignments; we can apply penalty clauses. Procrastination can become a hindrance.
Satrohan

Hello William,

I am starting a new class on Monday with the same students from my last class and I informed them in advance that I would be taking off 10 points a week for each late assignment or test taken and no final examinations could be made up unless an emergency presents itself. Hope that helps.

Marisol Soto

Marisol:
Setting expectations upfront goes a long way to avoid disputes as the course progreses.
Satrohan

Set up a schedule of when assignments are due. Students who have not complied should be reminded by email of lateness and usually more than once.

Try to refresh the student of why he/she is taking the course in the first place.

Anthony:
These are all viable measures an Instructor can take. What would be the next step an Instructor must take if he has adopted your recommendations and achieved no results?
Satrohan

I would guess (that is, advise) that the results from non-completion of work on a timely basis for an on-line course would be no different that what would happen in a residential course. It would be reflected in the grades as either a zero or some penalty. Naturally, this assumes that this policy is clearly stated in the course syllabus.

Josefer:
If I were teaching an online course, I would definitely include those penalties in the course Syllabus. I would also include conditions under which an extension will be granted.
Satrohan

I make it a point on day one and in my syllabus to give a penalty for late work. First quizzes close on the day and time I say they do, I tell students that missed quizzes are a 0 and I follow-up on that. I may have a student miss 1 and they never do it again. I allow students to turn in late assignments but they loose points for doing so, usually 5 points per day.

-Chris

Chris:
These are relatively strong measures you have adopted for late submission of Assignments. I have not as yet encountered an Instructor who deducts five points per day.

My thoughts on this is that when we set these expectations upfront, students automatically come to grips with what not to do before they fail the course. That should help them to create and implement a master plan for success.
Satrohan

I do not deduct 5 points a day but I do deduct 10 points per week. And like some of the others I do let them know on the first day of classes that it is important to turn in work on time.

Tammy

You're in an unfortunate situation. You really need to have a Late Work Policy in place or at least act like you have one. I've found that some students will have a reason for late work every week.

Lisa:
It is my solemn opinion that policies for late submission should be in place for online learning as is the case for classroom learning. Those policies should be implemented, and managed in the same manner as we do in the classroon; for example, granting extensions under extenuating circumstances.
Satrohan

Wow, the problem is that sometimes students have very good explanations as to why they have not submitted homework on time. The problem is there is no way to know it they are being truthful or not. I believe you have to take it on a case by case scenario. But taking points away from the grade that the student might otherwise receive is the only way I can think of that might influence a student to strive to get assignments in on time.

Adarine:
In my opinion, the point deduction system is good practice; however, just as in a traditional classroom, we grant extensions during extenuating circumstances, we should do the same in an online environment. No one is clairvoyant to unexpected life events that can disrupt the normal flow.
Satrohan

As we do not have a late-policy in our classes, I watch the gradebook constantly. As soon as a student misses a deadline, I send a friendly email of concern and also stress the importance of staying on schedule. I am always surprised at the return emails expressing thanks for my concern. This method has worked for me.

A personal email can go a long way to letting a student know that you care about their progress in the class! I am glad to see that it has worked well for you.

I believe one of the ways is to have a strict late policy. In one of the schools I teach, the instructor is allowed to make his late policy.

Mine is minus 50 percent for any late task. Ten percent each additional day, and will not be accepted after four days.

Online is about time management. The university wants me to respond to students' question within 24 hours, then they must submit their tasks on time as well.

It is necessary to have a late policy so students know what is expected and what will happen if work is not submitted on time. Penalties should be assessed for late submission.
However, as a contribution to the topic of this discussion, I write a personal letter to each student explaining why I will be very hard nosed about late submissions- for their own good. I explain to them that the biggest reason students fail the course is because they get hopelessly behind in their work and it becomes overwhelming to them. Then they just quit trying. Life is always tough and filled with surprises. So it is fairy land thinking that things will be easier next week or that time will magically be greater next week. Thus students must learn to manage their time and do whatever is necessary to get work done on time. Moreover, out in the work place, failing to meet deadlines may result in a loss of one's job. I explain all this to my students so they will see why it is so important to submit work on time. Then I mix strict enforcement of my late policy with mercy for those legitimate circumstances that do sometimes arise and prevent submitting work on time.

Terrific tip Terry! It is critical to be up front with students at the very start of class to make sure they understand exactly what is expected of them. I also agree that setting the stage for the "work place" is a great lesson for students to learn. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this subject Terry.

Sign In to comment