Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Teaching Techniques

What technique are required to be a successful online instructor?

I believe being able to keep students engaged in the learning process is key.

Hello Everyone,

Techniques required to be a successful online instructor include the ability to facilitate a course keeping in mind you are working with multiple learning styles and that there must be a form of intereaction that focuses on each method so that all learners have a fair chance at having material presented in a manner that works best for them,

Thanks for your comments Michelle. It seems to me the description of the online instructor that you used in your post could also be a residential instructor. What do you think?

I think you are right about that, Dr. Ernst. The other thing I would add is that some students need more attention than others. It is also important that an online teacher pay attention to the students' cues in order to deliver more personal attention when needed.

Absolutely! That is a very important part of being an online teacher--trying to determine when students need additional attention.

Keeping students engaged is a unique challenge online. I find that the key to working in the online classroom is to keep discussions interesting and relevant.

Beyond a student's initial response to a discussion thread or question, I often pose follow up questions or ask that students look at a situation or response from another angle. I also find it helpful to incorporate personal experiences in the field as well as outside sources; referring students to a video lecture or other resource keeps things fresh and interesting.

Those are great tips to get the students engage in the discussion thread. Thanks Victoria!

Because online instruction doesn't have much (or any) direct, fact-to-face contact with students, a large component of communication is missing. So, because we mostly rely on the written word to communicate with students, it is CRITICAL for instructors to have a better-than-average grasp on language usage. We need to convey our messages to students so that when they read them, they do not doubt our meaning. For example, we might need to critique a student, pointing out an area in need of improvement. Depending upon the choice of words, we can come across as condescending or encouraging.

I have seen a lot of instructors with a poor grasp of language. They don't write messages to the best of their abilities. Not only is this unprofessional, it also does not set a good example to students. Additionally, if an instructor can't spell, how can they expect to be able to help students spell?

I'm an English/communications instructor, so I notice these kinds of things probably more than most. :-)

I believe that one of the most important aspects of teaching involves providing a positive supportive environment for students to learn and making certain through any and all resources available to instructors that all of your students have a strong grasp of the material. The student’s success in a class is influenced by the support and guidance of the instructor as well as making certain that the communication is always open for the students to ask questions in order to understand the objectives of an assignment. Communication creates a connection of trust, respect, and cooperation between instructor and students. I feel this is imperative for establishing a productive and informative learning environment.

I agree with you Marni! Written communication is critical to the online instructor but it is also a critical skill for our students to learn. That is one of the advantages of online learning--it reinforces the written skills of our students.

Thanks for your comments.

Very nicely stated Nancy. Do you have any specific techniques that you use to create the positive, supportive environment that you describe?

Communication is very important, whether it be by written or verbal. An online course has to be very informative and clear for the students to understand. The instructor has to be a motivator and a guide. Feedback is also important. A face-to-face instructor would not set in a classroom and let the students discuss a topic the whole class time with joining in and giving input. An online instructor needs to do the same thing; they need to be engage in the students work. Online courses can be very convenient for an instructor and student but deadlines have to be set and followed. I have had the opportunity to take and teach online course.

You bring up some great points Kristy. Communication is very important--regardless of the type of delivery. Engaging and motivating students is critical to the success of the student. The instructor that can engage the student is usually a successful instructor.

Thanks for your comments Kristy.

Thank you for your comment; I greatly appreciate it. I always communicate with my students in a positive, encouraging, and supportive method. I always try to encourage them and create a sense of they can complete the online course and earn the degree they are working so hard on. I have an open door policy with my students so they can get the support they need any time they need it. I feel being available regularly helps with their confidence and success in the course.

Hi Nancy. I am curious, in an online class, how do you have an open door policy?

Marni
I agree completely with your comments.

I would add that I have had many students who do not believe that things such as grammar, sentence structure, and spelling are important other than in an English course. I teach business courses and have always graded with respect to correct as well as effective communication. My students often complain that I am tougher on grammar than their English professors were. I tell them that their English professors were teaching the language, but I am teahing them to work for bosses.

Though I keep working, I have a difficult time convincing students of the importance of effective and correct communication. One day I'll find the magic formula.

I would add that I do workshops for working professionals who also don't believe that being "correct" is important.
Butch

I think the comments above all make good points. I teach an introductory on line course and it amazes me how many computer illiterate people choose to get an online degree. This said, what I need to do to be successful is reach out to those needing additional help, while not slowing the class down too much and bore those who are very familiar with computers. I also have to be flexible to allow assignments to be handed in late, but not too late. Those getting an online degree are usually doing so because of their schedule, commitments to family,etc. I warn them not to get too far behind, but a day or 2 late is acceptable. More than that, a late penalty is applied. And most importantly, I think it was mentioned earlier, I have to make the time I have with the students in the online class as interesting as possible. Excellent oral communication skills are required - to give a lively, up beat "lecture." Too many umms, too slow speech, derail the message - but when you're talking to "space," it can be tough.

Thanks for your thorough response Joanne. It suprises me as well when students that don't know much about technology sign up for online courses, yet I also try to remind myself that they may not have any other options regarding how to pursue their education.

I find letting the students know you are still there for them to call or email is a requirment for a sucessful online instructor.

Sign In to comment