Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping Students Engaged

As this module pointed out it it wise to keep students engaged in the classroom in the virtual world the same as the physical classroom for retention. I find that having a high presence in the classroom; being involved in discussions giving feedback on assignments and launching further questions all help the students to be more engaged. If I want students to be active then I need to model that behavior.

I agree John. It is hard to expect our students to engage in their learning when we are not modeling the behavior!

Hello All,

In my discussion forums, I often post follow-up questions that probe students to think further. My questions are related to the original question. Students are encouraged to review the follow-up questions and provide a reponse to remain actively engaged in the course throughout the week. At best, I try to make the questions interesting...and related to current business world practices, etc. Additionally, it breaks the routine of reviewing peer postings to the same question.

To model the appropriate behavior, I have my own attendance policy to participate at least 4 days per week in each graded thread. Some schools require as many as 5 day responses without missing 2 consecutive days in a row. When students see me actively engaged in the course, they know that I am actually "watching" and "reading" their replies as opposed to just mandating participation.

Thus far, I've had good participation in the threads with these practices.

Debra

I agree that participating in the discussions is a great way to show students you really care about their learning. And it is a great way to set an example for your students. Thanks for sharing Debra.

I am total agreement that instructors must be actively involved in classroom discussions. This shows that we care - and helps motivate a higher level of student response and participation in class discussions. I regularly post follow up questions to the class in Discussion Board forums basing my questions on points discussed in student posts. I ask the class to further consider certain points that students are making and answer my questions relating to these points directly providing rationale to defend their responses!

Mark McMullen

I could not agree more. If we expect students to be actively involved in class discussions, we as instructors must be actively involved in these discussions. We must "walk the talk"!

Mark McMullen

The trick to the discussion board is making it a a discussion--not just one student talking, but a discussion between students and instructor. One of the ways to make it a discussion is to do what you suggested which is asking follow-up questions and letting the students know you are engaged in the discussion along with them.

You are right Mark!

Being involved in the classroom and the virtual world is essential to keep the students engaged. Having previously taken an online course with physical classroom requirements I believe it's very important to keep the students' attention by providing quality feedback and encouraging questions.

I agree with your statement overall. When conducting my chats I try to stress a two way communication with the students. I will ask them to share their thoughts with the class on a topic and give practical example related to the topic to promote additional dialog.

I feel that in order for students to become fully engaged in the classroom, the instructor would needs a presence in the classroom. Therefore, the instructor should also be active and visible in the classrom. This type of activity shows that the instructor is engaged, and thus, the student should also be engaged in the classroom.

Every interaction with students helps them feel less alienated and more involved. Many of our students are extremely isolated from society!

Giving practical examples is a great way to engage the students. I would also recommend providing examples that relate directly to the occupation the students will be going into. This is especially helpful with general education courses or other courses students don't always see the direct correlation to their future occupation.

I completely agree. If we, as instructors, do not show our interest in and motivation to teach the course, why should we expect our students to show an interest in doing the work and completing the course? We must lead by example and show our students that we have not become jaded by our college degrees, but we still have the drive to continue learning in our field and help them to learn more as well.

You are so right Beth! We can set the example by communicating our excitement about the subject to our students and make them excited about what they are learning.

I agree with this statement! If I expect students to be active in the classroom I need to lead by example. I maintain a strong presence on the discussion board as I see that as a great opportunity to create the feel of “live classroom”. I respond to student posts each day, asking questions and offering real world examples to further the discussions. I find that my interaction there sparks interaction among the students as well. Another technique I use is a personal email to students who are excellent contributors on the discussion boards. I send them an email with a “great job” animation and thank them for their contribution. They seem to really like that! I believe it is important for me to post an announcement each day (with assignment guidance, supplemental materials, chat agendas, reminders and recaps, etc). I use animation and visuals to get the attention of the students. I also make it a point to respond to emails in a timely manner (generally within a couple of hours). I cannot expect students to remain excited and engaged if I don’t demonstrate my own enthusiasm :)

I really like the idea about the animation. Do you create them yourself or do you find them online?

I signed up for a subscription to animationfactory.com and it has been great!

I will have to check it out. Thanks Jennifer!

I keep students engaged by being very responsive and asking follow up questions to points they make in DB posts. This typically generates a strong string of discussions from other students!

Mark McMullen

Sign In to comment