Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating a successful online experience

In my findings, giving students as much flexibility as possible while still holding them to the constraints of the class breeds a more positive, encouraging experience. What do you all think? Do you think that you need to "rule with an iron fist", or do you think that some leeway is a better idea?

I think many adult students prefer to have some leeway. Many things can come up in an adult students life during a course, and being flexible to help a student deal with these life issues but still holding the student accountable can go a long way with the student.

I think having a structure in place provides students with the information they need to successfully complete the class. But we all know that "life happens" and sometimes we are caught in a situation over which we have no control. It's happened to me as it has happened to many of my students. So I try to be a little flexible in dealing with my students.

I think that is a good approach Betty. Providing structure but at the same time flexibility if necessary is a good general rule of thumb.

I agree with some flexibility but also understand the need for real limits (i.e. time limits on assignments, etc.). It is important to keep dialogue open and be approachable if the student does need some flexibility. That way the student is still accountable for their success you are just meeting them to help them overcome any circumstances that might arise.

I think we all might be getting a little more challenged on this issue right now with all the flu/H1N1 that is going around. I know I have had a few students already this quarter dealing with it. Being consistant but also being flexible to allow the student to be successful is the key.

I have always believed in being flexible. That works in a traditional setting when people have to see you face to face and tell you they did not finish something. On-line is a little different, students have an easier time "telling you about life". I am a little harder due to the real fact of students having time mamangment issues rather than "life" issues. I know it sounds cold, but I find I get the work on-time more often and more complete.

I find it easier to be flexible with students in an online classroom than in a traditional classroom. This is probably due to the large number of nontraditional and adult students that I have in the online classroom. I find that in general they are more motivated to learn and disciplined in their habits, so I don't feel the need to strictly enforce due dates in order to prevent them from falling behind. I appreciate the fact that most of my online learners have jobs, families, and other demands competing for their time. Being flexible within certain parameters helps me meet their needs.

This the first section of my class that I will be teaching both online and in the classroom (with the same group of students). In the past, being only a brick-and mortar teacher, I have never been able to talk to them about anything having to do with the online portion. That created a huge gap in my knowledge and ability to help my students.
Even though I am new to online teaching, I am excited to be able to overview their whole experience from start to finish for this class. I believe this is going to contribute to greater success for the students as well as greater success for me in my teaching.
In the classroom and with the help of my program director and DoE we have often stood on the side of being more flexible with students when big life or technical issues came up. Our goal is to offer as much support and assistance as we can so the student is set up for success in spite of setbacks. However, we still hold them to deadlines, do offer reduced total grades when work is turned in late, and expect them to get the work done in a timely manner (e.g. in cases in which they were out sick).
In brief summation, a strong "hand" that still allows some leeway in justified individual cases is my preferred way of ensuring everyone who can succeed will be motivated to do their best.

John,

I agree with having some flexibility. Our students lives are often chaotic and having some flexibility relieves some of the stress of completing an education, while at the same time navigating the waters of life. However, I believe that too much flexibility causes students to be less accountable. They will push deadlines and procrastinate as much as you allow them to.

Vanessa

It sounds like you have a clear understanding of the direction you are going with your first online class. And soliciting the assistance of your PD and DOE when you need it is always a good idea--that is what they are there for.

Good luck Alison.

That is one of those "it depends" questions! If the student has been responsible and timely, I'm likely to cut some slack. However, if the student is obviously pushing as far as he/she can for some reason, I get out the "iron fist" fairly quickly. It's helpful, obviously, to know one's students as well as can be done.

Sign In to comment