Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

E-Learning vs Classroom

I know that when I prepare for a new semester there is an aweful lot of prep work involved (I put in an average of 2-4 hours in the evening for the following day lesson plans). How much time on the average is needed to sucessfully launch an online course.

Colleen:
I am assuming that yoru first sentence refers to preparation for a traditional classroom setting. Please advise what yoiu mean by "launch" an online course so that I can be in a better position to give you an estimate.

Has the course content been already developed and uploaded into a Course delivery Platform?

Were you the author of the course content?

Have you reviewed the content that is online and verified that it is the final version with which you want to move forward?

Satrohan

Satrohan,
To answer the first part of the question, Yes I was refering to a traditional classroom.

Regarding the remaining questions. This is a course from design (developed) to the actual date that students will access the online class (launching meaning day 1).

Colleen

Colleen:
Then this will be a difficult task to provide an estimate. You will have to be the best judge of the time it will take to:

Create the content.

Upload the content to the Course Delivery Platform.

Review the uploaded content.

Implement the revisions.

This is th best I can do without knowing other critical variables such as for example:

Learning Objectives

Duration fo the course

Percentage of content driven by a text book.
Satrohan

I would also like to know an estimate on the time. I am a full time classroom instructor, and an assistant network administrator. We are thinking of launching a few online classes which I have been asked to do. I put in many hours and I am just wondering approximately how many hours it takes to launch an online class from start (total development) to the fist day of class.

I think that E-Learning is equal to classroom learning if it approached from a good standpoint of view from the student and teachers perspective. I will be teaching an online course coming this Monday and believe it will be a great way to convey material to the students and see the participation among them.

Ed:
Teaching online is a marvellous experience. I wish you th ebest of success on this new frontier in your teaching career. Question fro you.

Did you create the course you will be teaching? Or will you be teaching a course someone else developed?
Satrohan

I feel it depends on the company you are going through. Some have lessons already in the program and you only have to monitor them.

I am excited about teaching on-line classes. Education or programs should be available to all people and presented in a variety of venues. I face many challenges teaching keyboarding classes to my adult students. Many have physical challenges that really take some creative measures to overcome some of these obstacles. It is so wonderful to make a difference in someone's life, who never thought they could acheive in the academic arena.

This would depend on whether or not the syllabus is created for you or not. The universities I have worked for have me as a facilitator; they design the syllabus. My ob is grading and offering tips and posting announcements and reminders. I can set up the courses in a few hours and set up the subsequent weeks in fifteen to twenty minutes. Most of the time comes in answering emails, holding office hours and chats, and grading.

Colleen,

This is a difficult process to decipher the time limit placed on prepping for a class. It includes things such as the course content, the amount of information you have to share with your students in order for them to take and use in their everyday life.

I encourage students to take the content they learn from the course and utilize it in the workplace, or their everyday lives. This prompts them to be more involved, grasping everything they can.

It usually involves more time to prep for my classes. I verify that I have everything in the right place for them, and resources available for their use.

It does make a big difference as to whether you are creating/designing the class and filling the role of facilitator or just being the facilitator. Many traditional institutions require the faculty to create the course and facilitate each, which is why many faculty at those schools do not want to teach online. They see it as too much work.

Sign In to comment