Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Computer Skills

The biggest hurdle I have noticed among new online learners is computer skills. Many do not know how to type,add a space, and then place a period along with features such as copy and paste and creating margins. These are just a few of the basic skills that we take for granted. So, to help these learners I have created little "how-to" Word files with screen shots. Getting ready must include understanding these skills!!

Rosie,

That is a geat idea. I bet that your students that are lacking in computer skills greatly appreciate that.

Rosie:
You have taken the right course of action to correct for the computer literacy defeciency. You may want to suggest to your learning institution that they make those tutorials available to students as soon as they enroll for the course so that they would have time to practice and build those skills.
Satrohan

Rosie,

That is a wonderful idea, especially for the more mature learners. These computer skills are harder for them to grasp because the technology was not available in primary school for them. I will utilize your ideas.

Cynthia

Rosie-
A how to file is very helpful to students. Would you share that with us?

Thank you!

Kathryn

Before a student is enrolled in an online course, he/she should have to pass some kind of test that exhibit fundamental skills required for the course.

Anthony:
This is a avlid suggestion. Please share with us a list of the kinds of skills on which the assessment should be based.
Satrohan

That is a good idea. I will add that the technical support phone number or/and the email address should be every where, so the students with less computer skills can use other ways to get help.

Fernando:
Please elaborate on your answer by sahring with us names or descriptions of some locations in the course where you believe this contact information should be included.
Satrohan

Maybe I am readily exposing my ignorance, but why would schools not require some sort of minimal computer literacy before taking an on-line course? I think what Rosie is doing is really cool, but how do you do that and not take away time for covering a class’ objectives?

Josefer:
In your short response, you have raised an important issue. I know it seems as common sense. Making the computer-literacy level a pre-requisite should be standard. This way, no one has to worry about playing "catching-up" after they have enrolled in the course and have other coursework to do for which they lack the level of computer literacy.
Satrohan

Requiring computer-literate skills of new students is certainly not a viable requirement for many schools. Although today's teenagers (and even younger learners) are exposed to computers and have gained the skills, I still find many mature learners do not even know how to type. This means they are back in school after a long break (measured in years), struggling to learn how to cope in college and fit homework into their lifestyle, and then faced with having to do all of their homework on a computer! Our school librarian has a couple copies of Mavis Beacon that he lends out to people (his personal copies!). Learning to type is a skill that today's workforce needs but I'm not sure that colleges are stepping up to the plate in this area of learning.

I'm sure your good idea helped a lot. My school stopped teaching keyboard skills and I believe the quality of work has suffered. I did write up a little introduction to computers for our laptop center--I was getting students who were practically looking for where to put the quarter in to get them to turn on!

I think Anthony is right; the ideal answer would be a separate course on the use of laptop and software skills first. (Obviously someone could test out of this.) Trying to learn two things at once is ridiculous.

Joanne:
I am extending an invitation to other students in this ocurse to share with us the extent to which they feel thier institutions are being supportive to adult learners who possess these shortcomings.

Electronic communication is a given for online learning. I, who am a two-finger typist, have to spend a significant amount of additional time to complete my workload; even though my error rate is low. Learning a new psychomotor skill at an older challenge can become a real challenge. I have tried touch-typing, did not follow through; however, I intend to pursue it again; especially when I consider that I will be writing a book on E-Learning soon.
Satrohan

Richard:
I support a separate course to be made available on the day of registration to students who need it. Ongoing telephone support during this period of learning from a Help Desk, or face-to-face support from staff dedicated to this kind of support in the library can go a very far way. Personally, I do not think it si necesary to test your idea out. This has been successfully done in many institutions with which I work; others recognize its benefits; however, funding has been a problem.
Satrohan

Many of our students are nontraditional and enter school with very little computer background. I would think that having an introduction to computers course along with a keyboarding course would certainly enhance the student's level of confidence and performance in an online course. We currently have these courses (introduction to computers and keyboarding) as prerequisites for many of our traditional classes and it proves most beneficial. This certainy helps the nontraditional student overcome the FEAR of the computer as well which is another hurdle many students have to overcome.

Mary:
These introductory courses, if tailored to the skills students require to be successful in online courses, should do the trick. Is this Introductory course delivered in an online environment?
Satrohan

At this point we do not offer these introductory courses online so students would need to complete the introductory courses in a traditiional classroom on location. Since this is the case, having the students on site may give us the opportunity to walk the students through an orientation course to prepare them for an online course. Having face-to-face direction at this point may be a way to build confidence in our students and reassure them of our personal interaction and involvement should they consider enrolling in online courses in the future. This could be the opportunity to ease them into a new direction because we know there is always that resistance to change.

Mary:
This is a solid rationale for implementing the Introductory courses in a traditional classroom setting. As a matter fo fact, this was the implementation strategy I had in mind to explore with you when I posed the question.
Satrohan

Unfortunately, many students believe knowing how to email and surf the net makes them computer literate. Maybe if students were given a skills check off list that includes minimal knowledge of Word, PP or Excel as well as keyboarding proficiency, it would enhance their academic performance in both the traditional and online classroom settings.

Sign In to comment