Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dee:
Great suggestions. And there are other topics that can be added to your list; for example, conducting effective searches on the internet. We must also remember that the ability to use the features and functionality of the Course Delivery Platform as they pertain to completing the learning activities should be mandatory.
Satrohan

Since most students don't have access to academic search databases from their homes, they tend to have difficulty in identifying credible sources on the internet. I usually tell them that .org, .edu, or .gov are fairly reliable sources for obtaining valid information (although these are occasionally outdated or inaccurate.)
What recommendations do you have to help students obtain valid/reliable information from their homes?

Dee:
I solicit input from other students in this course on this Subject.

I am not an expert on conducting research on the Internet; however, I know for a fact that this subject has been covered in some text books. And there may even be valid materials on the internet on this subject

As an Instructor, if I am sending students to Web sites to study content, I am responsible for verifying the recency and accuracy of the content.
Satrohan

Dee:

An effective and easy way to evaluate Internet sources was developed by a teacher and writer named Robert Harris. His CARS method instructs students to look at four areas of concentration when evaluating websites: Credibility, Accuracy, Reasonableness, and Support. Below is a summary for the CARS checklist. For a more detailed explanation of the CARS Checklist, access the link: http://www.virtualsalt.com/evalu8it.htm

Summary of The CARS Checklist for Research Source Evaluation
Credibility:trustworthy source, author's credentials, evidence of quality control, known or respected authority, organizational support. Goal: an authoritative source, a source that supplies some good evidence that allows you to trust it.

Accuracy: up to date, factual, detailed, exact, comprehensive, audience and purpose reflect intentions of completeness and accuracy. Goal: a source that is correct today (not yesterday), a source that gives the whole truth.

Reasonableness: fair, balanced, objective, reasoned, no conflict of interest, absence of fallacies or slanted tone. Goal: a source that engages the subject thoughtfully and reasonably, concerned with the truth.

Support: listed sources, contact information, available corroboration, claims supported, documentation supplied. Goal: a source that provides convincing evidence for the claims made, a source you can triangulate (find at least two other sources that support it).

Thank you kindly for sharing this with us, Melissa.
Satrohan

Core classes could include a computer skills class as one of the first classes taken to assure current and future understanding of simple computer operations.

At my school students that enroll in an online course are required to take a tutorial to make sure they are up to speed on the technology. This helps to make sure they have the skills necessary to be successful in an online class. Including a core class in computer skills is another way to accomplish that same goal.

Sign In to comment