Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Quite true, and well expressed Jim. Part of that new thinking is re-engineering ones schedule of daily activities and harnessing the power of self-discipline.
Satrohan

I agree with your opinion that online students need to be more discipline then on-campus students. Online students need to over more obstacles on a daily basis and deal with the comforts of home. These types of challenges can determine their outcome as a successful student.

Yes, it can be very challenging for the online student to be self-disciplined to be successful in the online environment, especially given all the challenges that many online learners face with additional commitments in their lives.

One solution is to have the student treat the on-line course as happening at a specific time. Have them determine their own schedule (as long as the class is asychronous) but then account - mainly to themselves (then to their instructor) as to why they missed their "scheduled" time online and hoe they will remedy the situation. Experimental psychologists in the 1940 - 1970s discovered found that the schedule of reinforcement would dictate the behavior of the subject.

That is a great suggestion to help students stay on track in their online class. Thanks for sharing it withthe group Frank.

I teach a hybrid writing class and I notice a real difference in my students' work between online weeks and in-class weeks. They have so many questions that are individual to their essays it seems much easier to support them in person. When online they frequently just try to "finish" because waiting for an email back (even though I'm very fast at responding) blows their time schedule for completion. Also, I think the procrastination is a very relevant topic. If they have to sit in front of me and write an essay, they do it. If I give the same essay as an online assignment, many of them wait until the last second (even with deadlines, etc.) and then are surprised that they can't finish.

Jennifer,
The big "P" is so treacherous for the online student. I have also found that there are a great many more computer "blow-ups" on Sunday evenings over any other day of the week. Someone should do a study?... ;-]

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

My residential students are not able to maintain the pace required for typical daily assignments. They are constantly in need of reminders of test dates and assignments. They are not looking forward to the blended course change. They cannot focus enough and cannot meet deadlines.
They need to have their hand held through every step.

Concetta,
Leveraging the online and residential activities with one another sometimes provides that consistent reinforcment at home and in the classroom. Helping them set a specific schedule to login and accomplish specific items can help get them off to a good start.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Having taken an on line course I have an apprieciation of the commitment needed and self discipline to keep up on assignments. I have found that assigning myself a specific time of day to committ to online worked for me.

Doreen,

That is great. Helping our students work through these same issues and helping them find strategies to be successful is an important part of our job. You have a lot to bring your students regarding strategies that have worked for you.

Herbert Brown III

Self discipline is a very big factor with online students. I am going to suggest that my students set a time aside every day as if they were going to class. Maybe to set a timer or alarm clock everyday to get them into the regime of going on line at that particular time everyday.
Self discipline and consistency everyday or every other day will be the key to students becoming used to participating on line. Of course in my opinion.

Doreen,

I agree that these behaviors are necessary for our student's success. I appreciate that you recognize that we need to teach our students how to manage their time, responsibilities, and organize themselves. I believe too often we assume the students enter an online program with these skills just to find out in exit interviews (after the student drops out) that they became overwhelmed and didn't know how to keep up or cope. Those skills can and should be taught.

Herbert Brown III

Sign In to comment