Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Self-discipline

Some of my ground students have said that they are not disciplined enough for online study .Because there are less excuses available for online students , I would think that more discipline is needed by ground students .

William:
This is an interesting observation. In my opinion, there should not be any significant diffference in the level of dicipline required for these learning environments. Of course, one mayassume that students wuld dedicate more efforts to be prepared to make the best of a classroom setting; however, that requires discipline. If students cannot discipline themselves to engage in effective participation in an on-the-ground setting; they could also lack the discipline for successful online learning.
Satrohan

I would have to say that both types of students require discipline. I believe that the online students have to be a little more disciplined to stay on top of their work because they may not always have a set schedule.

Julie:
I agree with th position you have taken. I would encourage you to pace the learning activities in your course, as this would force students to create their own schedules so that they can abide with your schedule.
Satrohan

Hi There,

From my experience, each takes its own sort of dicipline and which mode they will succeed most in depends on the students skill set.

For instance someone who is independant and very good at time mangement may succeed in both.

Someone more distracted may need the stimulus of the teachers and students in their immediate enviroment in order to feel productive.

I think it also depends largely on the class subject.

So that person who thinks they may not have the discipline for online actually may not.

Online is not for everyone but it is a great mode with the right subect and demographic of student.

Cathleen:
I concur with your conclusion that online learning maynot be conducive for everyone; however, once a student chooses this mode of delivery, theymust, as a minimum, be advised that self-discipline and time management are critical success factors. Instructors should, when necessary, provide guidelines to promote sle-discipline and develop time management skills.
Satrohan

I have taught ground students in that past. It is my opinion that some, not all, of your online students do require more discipline. I think of it as whether you are a student or employed where you work from your home, if you do not have the discipline then the outcome will not be what you had expected. With ground students perhaps because you physically have them in class they are more motivied to attend class and do their assignemnts rather than risk being behind and everyone knows it.

Melissa:
I share your opinion. Self-discipline as well as effective time-management skills are of primer importance to success in an online learning environment.
Satrohan

William wrote: Some of my ground students have said that they are not disciplined enough for online study.

Melissa's response: I would have to agree with your ground students. I believe being an online students requires a little more discipline because it is not a scheduled place or time for the class. Even though an instructor may be on top of students contacting them and encouraging them to participate and interact with course materials, it is very difficult for some students to actually complete an online course.

It has been my experience with students (and with myself) that it is easier to forget about something in cyberspace as opposed to a regular classroom setting. I always have the option of saying I will do it later or get to it later in cyberspace.

Cathleen wrote: For instance someone who is independant and very good at time mangement may succeed in both.

Someone more distracted may need the stimulus of the teachers and students in their immediate enviroment in order to feel productive.

Melissa's response: I totally agree with your take on the different skill sets needed for the student to be successful in an online environment.

One of the main things I encourage any online student to do is actually set up a class time which they will be sticking to on a weekly basis. This way they will actually have a specific time for class. I have even volunteered to contact them via email, phone or text at this time to make sure they are sticking with their set time.

Works for those students who are little more distracted and less disciplined.

Melissa:
What can you provide as a replacement for the "scheduled place or time for class"?

I would assume that procrastinators will procrastinate regardless of whether they are in an on-the-ground environment or an online environment. You seem to differ on that principle. Please share with us your thoughts about what makes cyberspace so prone to procrastination.
Satrohan

Melissa:
Please share with us your thoughts on this question which is elated to an posting you made earlier.

Do you believe these strategies will work for the procastinators?
Satrohan

Satrohan wrote: What can you provide as a replacement for the "scheduled place or time for class"?

Melissa's response: Incorporating the use of the collaboration features of a Course Management System can help with providing a scheduled place or time for class if a student is looking for a more structured environment. As an instructor it is important to have specific days and times you will be available for the students online or in person. This helps students establish a time or place for class.

I don't disagree with your statement about procrastinators. I just believe that it is easier for a procrastinator to procrastinate in an online environment, because they may seem less connected to the class.

Satrohan wrote: Do you believe these strategies will work for the procastinators?

Melissa's response: I don't think the strategies I mentioned will cure the procrastinators procrastination, but I think they can help them with their procrastination. Having a set time that you are contacting students may help them be more on task. Organized task lists, calendars, plans for completing the course, etc. are all tools that can be used to help students who are procrastinators.

The goal is to help the students be successful by providing them with the tools necessary for success.

Melissa:
Your last statement in your repsonse is well taken. Do you think that providing due dates for assignments, participation in Asynchronous Discussion Forums,and other learning activities will set the pace for students and help them to manage thier progress; and hopefully reduce the inclination to procrastinate>
Satrohan

Satrohan wrote:
Do you think that providing due dates for assignments, participation in Asynchronous Discussion Forums,and other learning activities will set the pace for students and help them to manage thier progress; and hopefully reduce the inclination to procrastinate.

Melissa's response:

All of the things you mention will help students to be more connected to the course and help them manage their time. It is our duty as instructors to help them be successful in the course and overcoming their procrastination in on of the things we have to assist with.

I believe that it requires a lot of discipline when being a part of an online class. I have taken several, and I think it is difficult when the instructor does not give feedback or reinforcement for days. I am teaching my first online course (starting very soon!) and I am going to make a point to at least post something or email so the students know that I am there for them! and plus keeping them on track!

Amanda:
Maintaining your presence in the online learning environment can be achieved in several ways.

E-mails to individual students
E-mails to groups of students on the same project
E-mails to the entire class
Participating in Online discussion forums
Your individual postings

Pacing student contact to maintain reasonable turnaround time for periodic questions should, as you mentioned from experience, take a high priority.
Satrohan

You will be successful if you do so. Feedback is highly regarded by online and on ground students. Good luck with your courses.

In some ways, student contact is easier online, with many other techniques to stay in touch and encourage student to student contact, even for "shy" students. It does require the proper mind set. When you leave the world of "class starts at 8:00 a.m.," it requires new thinking.

Sign In to comment