Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dedication

Are on-line students more or less dedicated to complete course requirements than on-ground student?

Excellent question, Libby. I am not aware of any controlled studies conducted in this area. In my opinion, holding all factors that contribute to course completion constant, there may be a tiny bit more dedication in an on-the-ground setting because of the regular face-to-face sessions with the Instructor which may instill a feeling of more accountability in students. The bottom line is that extraneous factors may contribute to a student discontinuing a course regardless of the delivery mode.
Satrohan

Overall, yes, I think the online student's dedication to participating in the course is higher. Online students I think are more willing to be engaged with other students through the discussion forums and even in the Virtual Classroom setting.

Robert:
While there is no empirical data to support your claim, I believe it is a valid claim. There are at least two reasons for higher participation. The first is that students have a longer time to reflect on postings in the Asynchronous Discussion forums as a result of which they can compose more intelligent responses-----much more time than is available in classroom dialogue. The second is that students who are "shy" to speak up in the classroom now have a more suitable outlet to express their opinions.
Satrohan

I have found that Online learners can be more motivated in their dedication than traditional. But we must also keep in mind that there are two different mindsets to consider. Typically those who prefer online are stimulated differently. They may be accustomed to more lights, bells and whistles, even the speed of online education. Whereas, a traditional school moves at a slower pace.

Accountabilty is key. I can recall my own traditional education, that took place in a large lecture hall with 200 plus students. I knew that if I sat in the back of the class, I would be just a body. But if I had to sit in the front of the room, I knew I would have to pay attention. This is true with online vs. traditional, without the face-to-face recognition we could disappear into cyberspace. Students must find their own accountability.

Quiana

Quiana:
Well designed online courses canbe very appealing to learners. Convenient access to the learning materials, no travel back and forth to classes on a regular basis etc can all me motivating factors. Even the absence of the human presence can lead to students having to dedicate more energies and mental effort towards achieving the learning goals.

Do you think that the slower paced traditional classroom would be appealing to some learners?
Satrohan

Quiana:
I read you loud and clear. Please share your thoughst with us on this question.

Given that accountability is key, do you believe some learners would thrive better in an online environment in which they know they would not have to face theInstructor in person?
Satrohan

Libby this is a good question. I believe that if someone is enrolled in a course whether the traditional classroom setting or an on-line course they have signed up to learn from that course. I would hope that the commitment has come from the personal want or need to learn and diversify ones self regarless of setting.

Debra:
I fully agree with you. The desire and need to increase one's knowledge and skills is a primary driver of success regardless on the mode of delivery of instruction.
satrohan

I believe all students are going to be different, but I think students in an online environment are more likely to be dedicated. First of all, I think that they realize before they begin the class that they will have to be more disciplined in allowing time to participate in the required coursework.

Christina:
Time management is crucial to successful online learning. We encourage institutions to inform students who enroll in online courses about the factors influencing successful online learning, one of which is time management. All things being equal, Linda, we still find some students straggling for no apparent reason; just as how some students will straggle in a traditional classroom setting.
Satrohan

Unfortunately, what I've noticed is that there may be some dedication missing when it comes to on-line learning. Not sure if it's because there's a sense of freedom or what. It's unfortunate though.

Lisa:
This is a toughh call to make. Students who are driven by personal eduactional goals should be dedicated regardless of the method of delivery. They will strive diligently to achieve their goals. At least, this is my opinion. Here is an example of dedication. I know fo a child in a third world country who could not afford kerosend to use a lantern to read. He walked to the neighbouring village here there were street lamps. He read under the street lamp. He eventually became the Chancellor of the university of his country. Had this fellow been involved in online learning and faced any obstruction to his personal goals, I believe he would have worked towards a solution. The life-purpose is one of the strongest drivers to success.

The only factor I suspect could contribute to insufficient dedication is the lack of face-to-face contact, the feeling of belonging to a body of elarners, and a connection with the Instrucotr. This may be part of what you claffify as "sense of freedom".

We must take into account the personal characteristic of individuals. Each student comes with their own degree of discipline and dedication as a student. Each also brings an individual work ethic, focus, and tenacity. All of these variables come into play.

But frankly, it's easier to hide online than in person. Examples:

(1) How many of us have opted to communicate something delicate via email versus face to face? Can you see the safety?

(2) Over half of all communication is nonverbal; it comes through body language and voice tone. How can the instructor's enthuasiasm and firm deadlines come through in an equally significant way online versus on ground?

I agree that people can hide behind email communication. Someone I know referred to email as "evil" for this very reason--people are willing to say things in email that they wouldn't say face-to-face.

Yes, nonverbal communication is important but nonverbal communication can also be confusing because it can be misinterpreted. But in terms of communicating the instructor's enthusiasm and firm deadlines, I think one step is to set the expectations at the very beginning of the class and hold firm. Communicating the same message in different ways is also another way to be sure to get your message across.

What techniques do you use to get your message across to your online students Jennifer?

Yes, consistent and clear messages work best in any situation! I agree with your comment. But I think nonverbal communication is misinterpreted when it is in conflict with verbal communication. Otherwise, it's often more accurate and powerful!

I think we need to get creative with getting messages across to online students. I believe phone calls go one step further than emails--there a tone of voice is audible and telling. The phone is not as strong as in person, but it is not as weak as email. I think phoning also helps the student feel reached out to.

But if you DO use email, get creative! I like to see beyond straight typewriter appearances. Using capitols mixed with lower case characters, introducing different fonts that depict emotions, and colored fonts to reach the visual learners. I think we need to really get creative and utilize the technology.

Great ideas Jennifer! Thanks for sharing :-)

This is a really good question that i have asked myself! I will use my situation for example. I was an on-ground student for both of my degrees and I actually enjoyed this route. On-line classes were ok but that was only if the subject was not as hard (i.e.no math). Using myself as an example I found that when I did take an on-line course I was more dedicated because I had to usually teach 80% of the material to myself! I find in my classroom that my students will come to me with questions but most of the learning begins when they teach themselves. I feel they are more dedicated because they have to rely on their knowledge to read the book, participate in discussion, labs, or other daily activities to achieve the desired grade. What type of learning do you relate to? As a facilitator, do you feel on-line courses is a good option for you?

Joi ,

I have personally taught both and I don't have a preference. My preference would be to continue to teach both. I enjoy the in-person personal aspect and I also enjoy the online. Do you believe the design of the course could change your mind about hard topics like "math?" What if each math concept was explained in detail with lots of examples in video lessons? You would have the benefit of going back to the videos and re-watching them until you get it. Could that be better than an on-ground class where you get the concept in class or you might get left behind (in some classes of course)?

Herbert Brown III

Sign In to comment