Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Are the root issues of E-learning any different from the traditional?

Aren't the general background, innate abilities (or inabilities) related to the learning skills, expectations or commitment of the individual student and the training, background, and teaching skills of the instructor the same?

Apparently anything can be put online, it is not precluded that everyone should or will succeed who takes an online course or that what is learned is any better than what is delivered closer by other methods. Technology will improve for delivery but it may not change the learner.

I am in total agreement.

Anything can and is put online. I question the effectiveness of some courses being online

Joel

Joanne:
One cannot dispuet your claim that technology will improve th delivery but it may not chaneg the learner. I hold a different opinion on the Subject as I maintain that not any course content is suitable for online delivery. Some courses expecially those that include the perfromance of psychomotor activites should be deliverd in a hybrid format.
Satrohan

Joel:
I do not dispute that anyone can place any course online; however, I am inclined to believe that credible learning institutions who want to maintain their integrity as they offer courses in the online environment would take the necessary measures to ensure that their courses meet the required standards for quality before they offer them in an online environment. I have seen watered down versions of courses; so like you, I would really research th course content,including the assessment measures, the instructor, and the credibility of the institution offering that course before I take the onbline version.
Satrohan

For us visual learners, it is difficult to sit and read pages of text. I see a page of text and my stomach knots up. I want more interactive learning in my online class--games, videos, chats, etc. Is it possible to equal what you might get in a classroom environment?

Hi Mary

I think that depends upon what you mean by "equal" in this context. I don't think the online experience can be exactly the same as the residential experience. But I also don't think that means the student can't learn as much or even more in the online classroom than in the residential classroom. Isn't that ultimately what it is all about?

I feel technology is vital. The general background, innate abilities (or inabilities) related to the learning skills, expectations or commitment of the individual student and the training, background, and teaching skills of the instructor the can differ and change the possibility of success for a student online. Designing is a great discussion. I tend to like the pre-made courses. I challenge each student to gain the reading in the book, but apply it to the real world. I give assignments (weekly), presentations, groups projects, weekly presentations and mid terms and finals. I work above and beyond the time or money required and given to me for my students. I want them to challenge me educational wise and when they give productive input and ability, I gain a better understanding of each student’s individual style and ability. These are some reasons for how a student may be more successful and student retention may increase as well. We do lose freedom though academic when using the pre created courses.

Sign In to comment