Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Course Management System

What is the best method to redirect a student who wishes to withdraw from class due to them finding CMS overwhelming and not easy to navigate?

I would redirect them to IT

Michelle:
Students can find the CMS overwhelming. For that reason, we always provide students with an orientation course on the CMS that addresses only those features students will be using to complete learning activities and view their progress. This course also covers navigation, participating in Discussion Forums etc.
Satrohan

Max:
Please refer to my response to Michele on this topic. IT would be able to help if that falls within the domain of their responsibility. Perhaps a help Desk set up for online students might be a better choice. Nevertheless, we must help the students to the point that they do not have to call the Help desk too often; otherwise the level of frustration will still be there. In addition to theonline orientation to the CMS, we should provide students with a Quick Reference Guide containing the steps to follow to complete specific learning activities.
Satrohan

Michele,
What I have experienced regarding this is just talking to the student. If you can reach out to them, either through e-mail or even a phone conversation, that would help. The CMS issue is often more about not understanding what to do next and how to do it.

Dale,
This is good advice. The individualized personal outreach is a powerful tool in online education.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Sign In to comment