Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grammar presentation approaches to be taught on line

An integral skill to be developed by language students is being able to strike sentences together through the proper syntax, hence, having a full command of the grammatical structures embedded to the language.

I, myself, foresee one single possible problem not about presenting grammar but on checking comprehension thoroughly.

Does anybody agree with me?

Jorge Tamayo

Jorge:
Help me to respond by defining what you mean by "comprehension". Do you mean assessing the degree to which students comprehend the rules of grammar? Or do you mean assessing the degree to which students' abilities to apply the rules of grammar? Or are you referring to both? And is this for oral or written communication?
Satrohan

What I meant was comprehension as a whole, that is, students will be able to use the grammar rules presented along with the implementation of such rules in daily lives in order to make sense and to be able to communicate in both written and oral forms regarding to the their needs and the context in which they are in.

Jorge

Thanks for the clarification Jorge. Adequate assessment of the application of rules of grammar in written communication can be achieved in an online environment using well constructed print-based tests delivered through a Learning Management system; as well as online editing software.

Assessing the application of rules of grammar in oral communication can also be achieved in an online environment; however, this would involve the use of audio-visuals which can add to the cost of students taking the course. Moreover, it will be an additional task for students to learn how to prepare audio as well as audio-visual responses.

I welcome any suggestions any one else has to offer on this Subject; especially from those who teach English Grammar or English as a Second Language.
Satrohan

I agree that online editing software is very useful in helping students to understand rules of grammar. I don't know how useful it necessarily is in assessing a student's knowledge of grammar. I like to be able to track my comments directly in a student's submission. It is similar to pointing to a sentence and discussing it in a face-to-face tutoring session.

Yes, using the "tracking changes" function and being able to add comments to a document is very helpful. I use it many times when providing feedback on a student's writing. Thanks for the comment Nikki.

Unless the course is if course an English course, then I too focus less on grammar. However, as a Business Instructor I can tell you that employers are looking for employees that are good communicators -- including writing. Therefore, I make sure I don't totally ignore errors in grammar.

Michelle Boddy

Sign In to comment