Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective Use of Communication Tools

So much depend on communicating effectively with students in an online environment. Without such students tend to slip away and become distant. Each day challenges us to get students to see us as they would any on-ground instructor, except that we are there for them in an electronic environment. Therefore, I would like to know outside of videos, PowerPoints, discussion boards and blogs, are there other communication tools that you find are easy to incorporate into an online class and that are interactive?

Communicating with students effectively in an online environment is indeed essential. I like how you put it "students tend to slip away and become distant." This is certainly true!

You proposed a great question! The only thing I could think of besides videos, PowerPoints, discussion boards and blogs, is email through the L.M.S.

Samantha,

Communication is essential. I also use wikis and Adobe presenter in which I can embed quizzes in the voice over Powerpoints. I also have used video cases in which students have to watch a video and solve a case problem. Asking students to also create Jing videos showing other students how to do things works well too. Lots of options.

Kelly,

We cannot say enough about communication. You have provided a good list of options. Thanks.

The effective use of communication tools can lead to student success, and email students that are behind and encouraging them and assisting them with answers to their question can make a difference.

Charles,

Right on. Student success if the key. We should all keep working toward that goal. Thanks.

Samantha,
I recently read an article regarding use of text technology in class. Not as a form of academic communication, but in quizzes polls and surveys. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Jacquilin and Samantha,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. We have to continue to read and stay up to date on things and try new things when we can. Thanks again.

Social Media is also an excellent tool to incorporate into an online learning environment. The use of You Tube channels, Facebook and Twitter can provide dynamic situations that will engage the new learner.

Polls and Quizzes are also interesting and can provide essential feedback to the student.

Margaret,

Agreed. I am glad you have shared a few ways to incorportate socia media into online courses.

I also agree with Margaret Kelly, social media provides a wealth of potential communication tools.

I'm also chewing on ways to use the tools you've mentioned in different ways, for example, I find that forums and discussion boards are great for collaborative sharing and discussion, but I find that there are usually 1 or 2 students who don't fully participate. Those students may be uninspired by the discussion topic, not comfortable sharing with the group, or a number of other things.

I'd like to try using the forums in smaller groups, focusing on a small group project where everyone is responsible for their own contributions, and the forums are their main hub of communication with the group. That way the task and communication involves a much smaller group, and their involvement and contribution is task and experience based.

Heather,

Many times the small group discussion helps all students feel comfortable in joining in. You are right. And, it provides a different opportunity than just a whole class discussion. Thanks for your input.

Yes, I agree email is an effective tool. One issue we have found though is it is important to find the right balance. Students receive so many emails from various departments that their in-boxes become inundated and sometimes they tend not to read the emails, either because they are avoiding them (since they know they are behind...sort of like avoiding the debt collector), because they do not prioritize them, or because they simply don't bother checking. As in anything, there is always more than one way to solve a problem. It takes time, no doubt, but our instructors tend to attempt contact in various ways, email included. One other note is that we have students that range from never having set up an email account of any sort, to those who have instant access via phone alerts. -Just something I know I need to keep in mind when using this communication method.

Victoria,

Balance is key. We have to let the students know when we will be checking email and the discussion boards, etc. so that we don't become 24/7 instructors. We have to balance how many times we email, post announcements, etc. Thanks for your input.

Hello Charles,

I do this very thing. I watch for students who are getting behind and I send them an email first, and if I do not hear back from them in a couple of days I will call them and ask them if they need help. Sometimes it is just a matter or the student knowing how to log in to one of the courses. I think they think that calling me will be time consuming. If I can corner them and answer their question they see that is the quickest way to resolve their confusion. I try to schedule my calls on the afternoon that their work is due that night. I know they are home and will answer their phones. Ruby

Ruby and Charles,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. It's good that you are finding what works for you and your students. Nice job.

It is always interesting that the student assumes that I understand that their difficulties were plan to see because they were not in the class room environment. I am constantly encouraging ongoing communication, and insuring that there is no crossroads that are crossed. If the student is suffer loss of GPA due to failing to communicate, I always redirect them to the instructions, I do think that accountability is important in all aspects of life. If we have agreed to do A than there better not be a plan B. If there is a plan B, then the communications need to have been implemented. I want equality and fairness, and those students who absolutely do every thing right, need to be rewarded in praise and grade. There is always consequences to our actions both good and bad.

Cyndy,

I always tell the students they have to communicate what they do not understand. Otherwise, I won't understand what they don't understand. ;-0 Using the FAQ discussion board has helped because they see other students have question as well. They are not alone. Thanks for your input.

I use Webex and Collaborate to provide an interactive session for the students. I can provide live tutorial sessions, prsentations and discussions. The students get real time feedback from me. I get to assess their knowledge and provide on the spot encouragement and/or assistance as needed.

Rosalind,

Excellent. I use Adobe Connect to do the same thing. It's great to connect with students in this way. Thanks!

Sign In to comment