Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor Involvement

Asking the students what level of participation do they want.

The learning objectives are for the students and too much interference from the instructor may prevent this.

Beth,

Thanks for you input. The instructor should set teh learning objectives/outcomes to be student focused - I agree. What do you mean by "too much interference from the instructro may prevent this?"

Also, what is students say they want a low level of participation or no participation? Thanks!

Look forward to more discussion on the topic.

It's important to understand the students expectations of learning when it comes to a new program. Online courses might be new to some students and may be overwhelming. Discussing the outline and walking the students through with a positive attude may help the situation.

Tara,

Being positive is a great way to introduce the students to the expections, topic and their experience in online learning. It's important to keep a positive outlook/tone throughout the class as well. As you serve as a positive role model, your students will also be positive.

Nice job.

I think that the level of participation should be spelled out in the syllabus.My feeling is that if you are not required to participate you won't. I do agree that querys should be made at some juncture in the online class.Maybe a short forum regarding the students understanding of the material as presented and ideas that they have to "Jazz it up" to help their peers to understand it better.

I don't understand about asking students what level of participation they want the instructor to have. What if half the class does not want any participation and the other half does?

I think the instructor should be very active in the online class.

Dennis,

Let me clarify. Typically beginning level courses are "led" by the online instructor, but as the students progress, the online instructor should become more of a facilitator and much more participation is created between students. If students are to work in groups and present in an online format, the instructor may facilitate the group, but much of the learning is engaged by student interaction/particpation rather than just instructor participation.

Students should eventually be able to develop projects/complete assignments through inquiry-based learning. The instructor can participate in that type of learning on a variety of levels.
I hope this helps clarify.

Thanks!

I find that most students like to just listen to the course online. Sometimes I feel that they show up just to show the instructor that they are attending.

I'd say out I have maybe 2 students a session that really get involved with the live chats.

Positive feedback both in task and LC's has a great impact on students.

Joseph,

Positive feedback is very important, you are right. It helps to tie the live chats to participation grades or discussion forums in the same way. Encouraging students who do not participate to particpate or requiring students to lead a discussion as a part of their grade also helps stir discussion.

Thanks!

I agree with this. I make sure to clearly explain what "participation" means in my courses. I also give it a place in my grading breakdown. I think that the instructor involvement should be high, but not in a way that is too domineering in conversation. We want students to think critically for themselves, but guide them in the a certain learning centered direction.

Interesting posting! I like to allow my students as much participation into the learning process as possible. However, I also believe it is my responsibility to ensure enough participation and that the basic learning objective are met. Thanks.

Christine,

Communicating clearly is very important. Students must know how participation is going to be graded and what is expected of them.

I even include in my instructions whether or not texting language is appropriate, etc. I give examples of appropriate responses and inappropriate responses. I also use a rubric for grading the discussion board posting.

Thanks for your input.

Brenda,

I agree. The instructor has different responsibilities than the students, but working together helps establish a good learning environment.

Both student and instructor have the responsibilty to take an active part in the discussion. The instructor has a huge role in making sure that discussions are on topic and actually answering questions that have been asked. I would never ask a student what level is ok. That might create a situation that is hard to rectify later on. It could inadvertantly allow students to not perform their best. It is the instructor's job to set the standard and not only make sure that students are performing, but also taking an active role and holding yourself to the same, if not higher standard.

What I have done with my students is to go over the discussion board rubric with them, that way they know exactly what the instructor is looking for. The instructor has to ensure that students get and stay involved. This is the only way we can be sure that they are putting in the effort and are learning the material.

Shana,

Good points. Being an active instructor and engaging the students can be time consuming, but is extremely important. Communication is very important so that students know what is expected of them and know they are individuals and not just a "number in the class."

A discussion board rubric is awesome and helping them understand how to develop good communication through the discussion board is key.

Thank you.

I agree with Dr. Crews in regards to students wanting low participation or not wanting to participate at all. It is our duty to ensure accreditation standards are met and this is a big factor for online learning at this time.

Melissa

Melissa,

We've got to get and keep them involved.

Keep up the good work.

I would agree if we're talking graduate level work where students are working toward mastery of a topic. At the undergraduate level, I don't think the instructor should ever be simply a facilitator. Leading discussions, managing tangents, maintaning academic rigor, and providing poignant interjections are all required for the student to get full value from the discussion forums.

Gregory,

There is definitely a difference in undergraduate and graduate students. However, if the undergraduate students are taking a series of courses (as many do) and they are all online, the facilitation can start in the higher level courses.

Thanks for your input.

Choice is the key and allows students to feel empowered. This is important in building a learning community.

Sign In to comment