Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Audio

Previous instructors would add sound to power point slides that were not relevant and distracting to students.

But, in the wines course the lead instructor added a person pronouncing the wine to assist students and it was extremely relevant.

Beth,

I agree that audio should add to the course. That's one thing you think is important. What are the other two?

Please list three total. Thanks.

Easy to Navigate -

I teach how to build a website to market your business. If the site is not interesting or too difficult to navigate the individual will become frustrated.

Time

Understand the time contraints that individuals will have due to outside commitments: Family, full time job, possibly other course work, etc.

Beth,

Thanks for the information. Creating an online coruse that is easy to navigate is important. It is also not only important to understand others' time constraints, but understand your own time constraints. The key is to also communcate the information and expectations to students.

Thanks!

It would depend on the course or topic you are teaching.

I believe, sound and animation should be added to power point slides if it enhances the learning environment. I teach many financial management courses. Sound would only be effective if it guided (step by step)students through the process of solving problems using forumulas and explaining topics.

Daryl,

You bring up a goog point. The content of a course many times drives how we do things in an online course. It is important, though, to try to provide information to students in a variety of ways (audio, visual, etc.) so that you can connect with the many different (or dual) learning styles of students.

Thanks!

Hi Beth,

I do think audio presentation with powerpoint works well, but I also feel that ppt's used with live lecture enhance the presentation's effectiveness. For example, when anatomical disorders are being presented, this gives the instructor an opportunity to express counterpoint and added information in a clear and concise manner so as not to confuse the student.

Robert,

Thanks for your response to Beth. You bring up a good point about PowerPoint "live lectures." I use a variety of software to record my voice over PowerPoint for asynchronous learning and do live session for synchronous learning.

Both are good additions to the online classroom. Thanks!

I belive that audio would be a great idea to add to the online courses. Although, I feel that it should be an option to use or not to use for the student. Audio for some students could be a distraction.

Tara,

Yes, audio can be effective or could be a distraction.

How would you suggest you determine how/when to use audio? OR For what aspects of the course would you use audio?

Thanks in advance for your additional information.

Agreed. Audio presentation, combined with lecture can offer 2 valid viewpoints on a common topic.

Well audio works very much like the soundtrack to a movie. Appropriately done it can enhance and further a students understanding by tuning more senses/brain power toward the learning objective. It enriches the experience.
For instance supppose your teaching the anatomy of the heart. To see it in a text book is one thing, but to actually hear the rhythm makes the it all the more memorable. It gives a chance for the student to hear different heart beats. Faster, slower, diseased, or labored. Now add an animation of blood flowing through that heart as it contracts and the student has an easier time underestnding how it works.
Alternately if theses were seperate, say just the picture, then just the sound, and no animation. The student may not put the process together appropriately.

James,

I like the way you describe how audio can enhance the learning experience. You use good examples. This is a great way to get the point across to students. I know you must give good examples to your students as they put the process together in your class.

Providing information to students in a variety of ways is a great way to "hit" all learning styles.

Nice job.

Sound can be turned down or off by an individual students if it is distracting to her or him.

Sound is a very effective learning mechanism for auditory learners and should be included whenever possible over PowerPoints or any other course feature.

Miriam,

You are right. . .providing students the option is a good thing. Some students do learn more by listening and others by seeing and touching. So, offering a variety of experiences is essential.

When recording voice over PowerPoint, please don't make the recordings too long. Fifteen to twenty minutes is sufficient. If you have a lecture that would normally take 60 minutes, break it down into three or four segments.

Thanks again.

I agree. A power point is a recipe for sleep!

Jay,

Typically I say "Yawn" - Ha! But there are some software packages like Adobe Presenter in which you can record voice over PowerPoint and put in little quizzes between the slides as well. They are a bit more engaging, but keeping them short is the key. No more than 10-15 minutes.

Thanks!

Jay,

I work hard to make my PowerPoints more lively with quiz questions built in and everything, but every semester, I get some students who are still not enthralled. I keep trying. ;-)

Hi,
I love the idea of sound in a boring old power point!! Spice it up! I like to add some cartoons as well, sometimes I even get a laugh out of them. I will have to check into the Adobe Presenter software.

Thank You,
Ginny Anderson-Klasen

Ginny,

There's always something new to try with the great technology out there. I just found a text to voice software called Ivona and you can script what you want your PowerPoints to "say" and then buy a voice and it will say it. It's pretty cool. Thanks!

Sign In to comment