Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Evaluation

I believe that student evaluations, along with self-evaluations and peer-evaluations are an important aspect to continuous improvement.

Cindy,

You are correct. Several different kinds of evaluations provide a variety of information. It is good to use such a variety to improve.

Nice job.

As you know, this is essential. Unfortunately, I receive feedback from many students that they get the same teacher (for 2 different courses) and the courses are unfortunately almost identical. And, in most cases, not seen favorably by the students. I think this is because it is very easy to think we have mastered our classes if we have taught them several times before, but by reading student feedback, having someone sit in to critique a class / provide you feedback, and learning more about new and exciting ways to teach - online and face to face - we can actually take the mediocre class and slowly turn it into a student favorite!

Krissi,

Taking all feedback into consideration and making changes it essential and an ongoing task. I like to have other instructors go into my class and "look around" online and get feedback from them before I open the class to the students. Then, when I get student feedback I share it with that other instructor and ask for their advice as well in changing the clas before the next time it it taught.

Keep going! Keep changing those courses and you'll develop that great class. Thanks.

yES THIS IS A GOOD IDEA AND HELPS STUDENTS AND TEACHERS LEAERN MORE ABOUT EACH OTHERS STRENGTHS

Esther,

Which do you think helps you more:

1) Evaluations from students?
or
2) Evaluations from other teachers?

Thanks!

Unfortunately the evaluations that are done online at the end of the class end up being more of a tool for students to address grievances anonymously that should have been taken up with the professor during the class session. Student feedback should also be correlated with the grades that students get as i have found that students who fail to meet the standards often will find this a useful way to protest their final grades.

James,

Have you tried formative feedback throughout the course from students? Many times you can solve issues before they are given a course evaluation at the end of the course and then they are more appreciative in the end of course evaluations. Just a thought.

Sign In to comment