Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Meaningful Feedback

I teach a course HRM Procedures, after students complete an American Service practical.

I specifically note one thing each student is excellent or extremely special at.

It makes the student feel individualized and proud of a specific accomplishment.

Beth,

Good point. It's important to provide positive feedback to students and beginning with one thing in particular is a great way to start. How do you handle constructive criticism?

Feedback is great...it can correct a student from doing something in the wrong way, and it is also very important to give positive feedback to make the student feel like they are accomplishing what you wanted.

Valerie,

I agree that feedback is an essential component to help students improve. What other qualities do you believe feedback should have besides being positive?

Thanks for your continued input.

I also agree with positive feedback to the students. Simple feedback will encourage the student to continue the good work.

Tara,

Yes, I agree too. Positive, yet constructive feedback.

TBC

Good point. Do you limit this to just one thing or at least one thing?

Dennis,

Positive feedback does not have to be lminited to just one thing, but should include at least one thing. When a project/assignment/paper is done very well, there may be many positive things to say, but don't get overwhelmed with just postive things as the student may still need some constructive criticism on his/her work.

The same holds true when a project/assignmetn/paper is done poorly. Don't just focus on the negative, bad, terrible, etc., but make sure you try to find something positive.

Thanks for asking and I hope this helps clarify.

Meaningful Feedback has a huge impact on how the student will review the rest of the course. I feel that when we continue to build them up on A+ task, we still need to give them room to grow with task that may not meet that standard.

Joseph,

You are correct. Feedback is essential to help students understand what they are doing wrong, but also why what they are doing is wrong. That will help them grow and improve in their learning. This is meaningful feedback.

Thanks for your input.

I try to keep all of my feedback written in a positive tone. If I point out something that was done incorrectly, I encourage the student to "try ______" next time.

I think it is also very important to let the student know that you have observed an improvement, etc. in their work. I do this regularly on tests, papers, etc. I want them to know that I am paying attention, and that their hard work is noticed!

Christine,

Thanks for your input. Begin positive is very important. When students understand that the instructor wants to help them improve, they are more motivated to do so.

Nice job.

I fully agree. A commendation first provides the student with a sense of accomplishment and allows them to receive the correction for other items in a less discouraging way.

Shannon,

Yes, starting with the positive is essential. Thanks for your input.

Positive and Constructive Feedback are very important in any learning environment. Some individuals may react better to constructive and some individuals may react better to positive feedback.

Jesse,
Jesse,

Thank you. Feedback is the key.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Dr. Tena B. Crews

I think that, as an instructor, it is very important that we encourage our students as much as possible

Valerie,

Encouragement can be provided in many ways: meaningful feedback, discussion boards, self-assessment, peer-assessment, etc. Thanks!

When there is not positive feedback to provide, what is the best way to approach feedback that does not contain positive comments?

Jeffrey,

I always find something positive even it if it "Thank you for turning in the assignment on time." or "Your work is complete." or "You have formatted the paper properly and used the proper font." or "The report is the proper length." Anything positive is the best way to start even if it is something small. Hope this helps.

Sign In to comment