Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Modifying Content / Student Engagement

1. As it relates to modifying course content, I find myself editing and modifying something each term. I make more major modifications every other term. The time needed for major modifications allows me to test over at least 2 terms how well the the students respond, and the effectiveness of the modification as it relates to the learning objectives. I've recently began to record video clips of myself each week discussing a few highlights from the materiel, important weekly announcements, and general encouragement. The students seem to engage well with new approach.

2. As it relates to student engagement, I find that detailed responses to e-mails, discussion questions/boards, etc. seem to "bring in" the student. It is a personal touch that allows the student to feel important and that the instructor considers their thoughts and progress in the class. I also believe that the detailed responses allow the students to learn a bit more regarding the class material based on practical notes that may not be included in the textbook or lectures.

Aundrea,

Wow, it sounds like you really have a concrete plan for improving your course! You are using a variety of techniques to engage students. Do you assess students regarding their opinions of what you use? Nice job!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The students typically respond at the end of the term regarding the class content and delivery method. I am able to use this to make quick/minor modifications, but the major modifications will take a term or two. However, I can also assess progress based on how well the class performs as a whole when new delivery methods are used. I recently released a mid-term summary outline for one of my classes because of the voluminous amount of material in the first half of the term. I plan to see how well the class performs on the final exam now that this has been put into place. Some assessments are more formal than others, but there are many ways to approach student assessment and content delivery.

Aundrea,

You do seem to be using assessments to evaluate teaching strategies. Good for you. We can't always blame poor grades on the student.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Andrea, I couldn't agree more. My courses, while maintaining the same objectives and many of the same assignments, are delivered differently every time. This is because I am learning each term and I'm encountering different students each term.

-Mark

Mark,

This isn't really much different than a f2f course? Students create the personality of the course no matter the delivery. The mark of a good instructor is to use the personality to fuel the learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment