Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Styles

If you see that a student is not adjusting to an online course, how would you approach the student? What would you recommend to the student?

Ro,
When I see students who are not adjusting, I make the time to reach out via email or phone to determine where it is he/she is struggling. If it is simple navigation, an instructor can take the time to walk through the course and explain different facets of it or even call upon Student Services for support. What I would recommend really depends on where the student is struggling. What do you do in situations like this?

Roshawna,

One it to make sure that you have a communication channel open to him/her. You need to be able to ask questions regarding time spent on task and familiarity of the subject matter. You also need ask about the technology. I found I had one students that was struggling; when I started asking questions, the student didn't have a computer. You need to do a scan to determine barriers, then prescribe a remedy to those problems.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Stephanie,

I have used student services as an alternative support. They may feel less threatened. I have also provided specific recordings that target very specific issues. I have made personal recordings just for one student. That way they can watch it multiple times.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello Roshawna,

I would call the student to discuss the issue with the student. So as not to offend the student I would ask probing open ended questions which requires the student to reflect on their progess and provide their opinions. Additionally, to address any deficiencies I may see, I would ask the student questions which are geared towards this deficiency without stating it as a deficiency. Such as if the student has not submitted assignments or has failed a test, I would say something like: "I see you did not submit the XXX assignment. Is there a portion of the assignment which you need me to clarify for you?" "On your last test tell me where you faced challenges? How can I assist you in understanding this information?" If the student, still fails to understand, I then speak to their advisor for possible external assistance (i.e. tutor, or perhaps counseling).

Rosalind,

Great strategies. This is a valid way to make sure you reach out to the student that might be discouraged due to grades. That is why in assessment you want to make sure that your measurement of the student in the course is more than just one exam. They should be varied.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment