Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Course Content

One of the things that I find very effective both from the perspective of the instructor and the perspective of the student is personal experience. When discussing a concept in either synchronous or asynchronous contexts, the instructor can introduce situations in which he or she has been personally involved (from a professional standpoint). Students participating in either type of discussion can also share experiences with a particular concept. Both of these additions to the discussion help underscore the essence of concept introduced in that part of the course.

Edward,
That is a wonderful idea! We do that in our f2f why not bring those experiences in online. It enriches the course for everyone.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Absolutely agree!

When I taught f2f courses and had more control over the structure of the classes I taught, I actually asked students to come to class prepared with examples either from experience or research for the concepts we would be discussing. I always had my own examples as well in case the student examples were not quite on point, but usually the student examples provided a good jumping off point. In the online courses, the students have not been quite as forthcoming with providing their own examples (I am not able to make it a requirement or award extra credit), so I find I use my personal examples more often.

As a result, I have noticed that providing my own examples from professional experience is a good, subtle way of reminding students that I am an expert in the field--I have practical "real-world" experience in the field they hope will be their career. Instructors can establish this without blatantly stating, "hey, I'm really good at my job and I have done some great things--you should come ask me for advice sometime"--haha, that would not get much of a response.

However, by providing our own professional examples that are relevant to the class concept, we more subtly establish rapport and authority, in a way that welcomes students to reach out to us for mentoring in their chosen career.

Gwenda,

You make great points. You do need to remind students that you are the expert and that is why you are TEACHING! Students do notice it!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I'm teaching on location. So I can't tell that much difference between synchronous and asynchronous. But I agree that interaction and participation take a very important role in all enviroment no matter it is online or on location. If you want your students highly engage to the learning process, you better to design a clear guidlines in class syllabus and show some stong expectations. As an instructor, you should be more responsible to provide enough support and information for learning needs.

Hi Edward,

You are correct about sharing personal experience. My students become more engaging when I share ‘real-world’ examples. Since I work in health care administration, I share my real-life experience about possible salary, work environment or working from home. When they share their personal struggles or achievements and I reply by sharing my own struggles and achievements, trust is created and they open up more. Sometimes they open up too much and discuss things with me that I think are extremely personal. 8-)

Vivian Washington

Edward,
I agree! I teach in the social sciences and bringing real life examples to discussion helps students understand ways their own lives fit into the topics and theories we are examining.
Suzanne

penny,

You are correct! You set the pace in engagement and interaction. You have to show what is appropriate and what is inappropriate and hold students to it!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Vivian ,

You are right about the sharing! I think it is important to share your experiences with students. That doesn't change from f2f to online. Great post!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment