Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Guidance and Positive Reinforcement

I think it's extremely important that the online instructor lead the student in the direction of obtaining as much information about the subject by self-exploration. When the student displays what he or she has found, either on a discussion board or in a written project, it's important to communicate to the student the positive aspects of what he or she has discovered and distinguish those items that are important from those that are either of lesser importance or irrelevant.

Edward,

Discovery learning is they way we make learning our own. You make a great point about teaching students to be responsible for their own learning exploration.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dear Edward,

I agree with you. When I was in college, my professors strongly encouraged us to find other resources and avenues to learn the material taught in the classroom. This helped me in the classroom, but also in other aspects of my life. Most of the information I obtain now is through self-discovery. I am not dependent upon what a person tells me. I would go and double check the information. This is a vital skill that I believe that all students should acquire and finesse.

Clara,

I wish all of my students had the same experience. At times students choose to become passive.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment