Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Four pairs

Different students have different needs, so it's vital that instructors be able to wear all four pair of shoes:

*Instructor. Some students are fully capable and have no questions, and are thus just looking for straightforward instruction.

*Social director. Some students are in the online environment to meet people and make connections, so we should be available to facilitate such activity.

*Program personnel. It's out job to provide feedback in a timely fashion, and

*Technical overseer. Students must feel comfortable with the technology we use to facilitate classes.

Michael,

Yes,don't you think that if educators expanded their roles in f2f like online educators it might change the environment there?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I do think so -- the online environment makes these issues more pressing because of the distance.

Michael/Class:

I like your reply; however, I must understand what you mean by social director? Is is our responsiblity to socially direct students connections? I would suggest it is the students responsiblity to engage in connections. Naturally, as an online educator, I am there to facilitate discussions that are inappropriate; however, I would not suggest I am a social director.

Can you expand on this thought?

While its the students' responsibility to engage in connections, the playing field, so to speak, is not always even -- non-traditional students, for example, don't always feel as comfortable engaging in discussions as their younger counterparts because of their unfamiliarity with computer chat rooms.

So, any help we can give to connect students socially is appreciated.

Michael,

Yes it does. Do you have institutional help that can provide your students assistance.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Deana,

Yes, I do think that you as an instructor have to educate students regarding how to communicate within the online course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

I agree, but is is up to us to make sure we "bring everyone to the table". Modeling the use of the technology goes a long way.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes, Kelly, you have a point.

In fact, for me, in my F2F classes, I often have a hybrid format where the students have an online Discussion Board assignment due the night before we have the F2F discussion in class.

Somehow that has deepened the F2F class discussions.

Patricia,

We are on the same page! I find that it really "expands" the walls of my f2f classroom by getting them in the content more!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment