Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Asynchronous learning

I am currently teaching an online course. The students have established deadlines through out the week to complete discussion posts, assignments and tests.

I hold a Live Lab each week. I struggle with some of the students not participating in the Live Lab discussions. It is as if, these would be the "quiet" students if we were meeting live.

Does anyone have an tips to engaging all students?
Thank you
Michele

Michele,

Assign student leadership roles within the Live Lab. Make them lead the discussion. You can guide them but they must lead. This can work!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have taught on-line classes for almost four years, using a Blackboard LMS. I have weekly discussion questions that students must reply to and respond to postings of their fellow classmates by a specific weekly deadline.

Each on-line class is five weeks in length and all weekly assignments and tests are due by Sunday at midnight.

When I return a student assignment submission, I always give the student a specific deadline on when the assignment should be resubmitted. If I did not give a specific deadline, students would procrastinate and resubmit their assignments in the last few days of the class. I learned this from several years of asynchronous teaching experience.

Linda,

You are right. You have to give a date and hold students to it. When we say a course is student centered we also mean student responsible.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes, I agree.

Maintaining assignment deadlines is crucial to the success of an online course.

joseph,

Yes, I ti crucial but what type of communication do you add to keep students on track?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have been teaching on line for nearly 20 years now and the best method I like is synchronous lectures because it allows for a dynamic interaction with faculty and students--Dr Jim

James,

Do you require students to attend those sessions? Synchronous sessions does take away one of the facets of online learning; anytime.

Sign In to comment