Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Synchronous vs Asynchronous Learning

In a perfect online teaching environment, a combination of synchronous vs asynchronous would be ideal. However, most students choose the online education avenue because they want the flexibility to attend around their schedules. So often times achieving this can be a challenge. The school I teach for does provide avenues for both types of learning. Weekly live conference/web sessions are held. Students have the option to attend however it is not required if their schedules do not accommodate. Students who do attend get a lot out of these sessions though as it is such a great venue to connect on a more personal level with instructor and other students and get immediate answers to questions.

Ellen,

You make such a great point. Students really want the anytime, anywhere learning and that comes at time with a price for both the instructor and the student.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Ellen,

I totally agree with you that students take online courses for the flexibility. When I set up a chat session, not all of my students are able to attend due to other classes, work schedules or family commitments. It is good that the chat sessions are recorded and available to the students 24/7 but even then not all of the students view the archived chat sessions. Most of the time I can tell who has either attended the live chat session or viewed the archived chat session by the completed assignments submitted.

Frances,

You can also schedule a one on one with a student that is synchronous to have that contact. I have done that similar to office hours or a consultation on a paper. It can work and students appreciate the effort.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Good point Ellen. I try to encourage my student to participate in the synchronous learning that i have provided because it is such a great compliment to asynchronous learning. However it is hard to get students to commit to the synchronous learning.

Kimberley,

Yes, they seem to shy away from synchronous learning as it takes away their "choice" of engagement. Many traditional students really see the asynchronous the key to online learning satisfaction.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I always stress to my students to watch the archive of any live session if they are unable to attend it in person. This really gives students the opportunity to witness synchronous interaction in an asynchronous environment.

Jacob,

That is the beauty of technology; you can record and student watch as often as needed. We as instructors should take advantage of that more often.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment