Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Asynchronous VS. Synchronous

Synchronous learning takes place when two or more people are communicating in real time. Sitting in a classroom, talking on the telephone, chatting via instant messaging are examples of synchronous communication. So is sitting in a classroom a world away from where the teacher is speaking via teleconferencing. Think "live."

Asynchronous learning, on the other hand, is thought to be more flexible. The teaching takes place at one time and is preserved for the learner to participate in whenever the time is most convenient for him or her. Technology such as email, ecourses, online forums, audio and video recordings make this possible. Even snail mail would be considered asynchronous. Fancy word for convenience.

I prefer Synchronous learning.

FYI...based on the benchmark study (meta-analysis) from the US Dept of Education entitled
"Evaluation of Evidence-Based Practices in Online Learning: A Meta-Analysis and Review of Online Learning Studies" (http://www.ed.gov/rschstat/eval/tech/evidence-based-practices/finalreport.pdf), it was revealed that time-on-task using asynchronous collaborative tools such as DBs, wikis, and blogs may have actually increased learning when compared to the traditional classroom.

Anita,

You make great points! Yes, I do prefer synchronous learning but students tend to ask for asynchronous because of its flexibility.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jolly,

Yes, I LOVE that report and we need more research regarding the effectiveness technology in the learning environment. We know that the more time spent on content, the more opportunity for learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

A pattern of teaching basically characterizes how an instructor provides information to students and how his/her virtual classroom practice becomes obvious as it is repeated consistently over a period of time is a pattern that must be taught through both. I like using the Wikispaces. Wikispaces makes managing my class a breeze, with tools to handle day-to-day work and features to tackle the special activities you've only dreamed of.A wiki is a space on the Web where you can share work and ideas, pictures and links, videos and media — and anything else you can think of.

I was an online learner and to me flexibility is not all I needed. I need critical thinking skills in which synchronous learning helps motivate critical thinking skills.

Anita,

True, but most of our online learners don't know what they don't know!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Anita,

Great post! I too like using wikis through BB for both individual and group projects.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think a mixture of the two is ideal as I use synchronous session to discuss assignments and the asynchronous tools for the other course content.

Although I would prefer using synchronous over asynchronous methods, because I can get my point across right away and have more interaction, however, I am fully aware that using asynchronous methods may be more appealing and beneficial for students. It does allow students to be a lot more flexible and work at his or her own pace.

Thanks for sharing the article: US Dept of Education entitled
"Evaluation of Evidence-Based Practices in Online Learning.

Christopher,

I think we all find a mixture is ideal for all types of students. Good post!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

revonna,

Others are like you; but if we are to develop anytime anywhere learning we have to use the asynchronous learning. So many times that is what drives students to online courses.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This study is fantastic. It helps to show the underpinnings of the developmental-constructivist pedagogy. These online tools become akin to group learning. Group learning has been researched and found to enhance the critical thinking abilities of students.

As an instructor, my preference is face-to-face communication. This being said, you would think that I would prefer synchronous learning. I feel that synchronous learning takes away from what one defines as online learning. That element is flexibility. Most students give up teacher involvement so that they can have the freedom to learn at their own pace (with some limitations) and 'attend class' any time they wish. In addition, my definition on online learning imply the use of technology without the personal interaction of the teacher. The big advantage to synchronous teaching is that some students actually perform better with real-time teach involvement. Also, some courses are more suitable for synchronous instruction.

Monica,

I am a firm believer of group work. I also think it gives students a connection to each other that helps with retention.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jacqueline,

I agree with you. Synchronous does take away the asset of anytime learning. I do think we can make an asynchronous learning environment engaging.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kelly

Exactly one huge attraction to many oline students is the fact they can do their homework when it suits their schedule - even with my live chat sessions more of my students access their recording rasther that actually attend them and many tell me they like the ability to listen to then several times if an assignmewnt is difficult for them.

Cheers, Dennis McGuckian

My experience with group learning in the online environment has not been positive; this aspect has always been asynchronous. There are usually a few students who are active in the group and become frustrated with the inactivity of other group members. Of course, these non-participators are relatively "inactive" in all sense of the course not just the group activities.

I do believe that the group activities can enhance critical learning through the sharing of ideas and experiences that are brought by each group member. Perhaps if the group held synchronous gatherings, it might prove beneficial as opposed to asynchronous. At least it would be worth a try for the active participants to seek a date/time that would work for them to learn from each other.

Laurie

Dennis,

Yes, we have to remember that when we have synchronous it does reduce the freedom the students typically come to online education for.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Laurie
I think for some, online is a way to NOT be a part of the group. We have to make an effort for engagement. You have to set the expectations and hold all to that expectation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment