Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology Tools

If you notice a student is not understanding how to use technology in the online environment, how do you address it?

Roshawna,

Great question! I actually look at frequency of posts this includes answering others. If there is no information given or a lack of information, my first thought is lack of understanding. I will also send an email asking them a specific question about content. I do this through email as other students don't need to know about a student's lack of understanding.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I refer them to either their advisor or admissions. This is something that should never be aloud to happen

Kevin,

I understand your sentiment but this happens very often. I had an instructor that was told to develop an online course for students who did not have a computer. She was just going to use public access to work on the course. To me that is like coming to class without a book. It really becomes a barrier for the student.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Good question Roshawna.

I normally send a direct e-mail to the students letting him/her know of my availability to clarify any issues the student have in using technology or in understanding the same.

I had cases in which it was just the clarification of a couple of points and students started using technology the way that I told them to use it. I believe in some cases it is just fear of something new or the fear of feeling embarrassed by making mistakes.

Broderick,

You are right. You have to find your "way" of handling those students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment