Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

blogs

I am interested in using Blogs for my course room. Does anyone have any "lessons learned" or tips to share?

If you use Blogs in your course room, what feedback to you have from your students?
Thank you
Michele

Michele,

You need to set your expectations and your grading before you assign this. Create a rubric that will measure what is important to you. Give students examples of good blogs and bad blogs. I hope this helps.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sometimes the directions for an assignment in an on-line class leave several students with the same question(s). I use the blogs to provide answers to these frequently asked questions. I add a new blog at anytime throughout the course when the need arises because an assignment needs more detail provided.

On my announcement page, I post an announcement to the whole class telling students that the new blog on a specific assignment has been posted. This seems to help with the number of emails about an unclear assignments.

Linda,

What smart strategies! You are providing them needed information in an efficient way that doesn't increase your workload. So smart!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Wilkinson, I agree with your point related to the need to provide greater clarity to the students, particularly in an online course. I've always believed that if we are communicating as well as we think we are, our students should have no questions, after reading our posted materials. Thank you. Dr. C.

Michael,

Well, not about the process of learning, hopefully about the content. Our goal is to guide, questions are a part of it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have not used blogs in my online classes.

Could you explain the advantage of using a blog in an online course?

joseph,

Blogs allow students to be in control of their content with others responding as reply. It means the students have responsibility for the content and replies just respond to the content. It does provide a good environment for writing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Using blogs to answer FAQs is a great idea. I have typically used blogs only in a hybrid classroom setting (onsite instruction combined with online posting), but I may have to consider adding the option to my solely online classes as well.

Christen Embry

Using blogs to answer FAQs is a great idea. I have typically used blogs only in a hybrid classroom setting (onsite instruction combined with online posting), but I may have to consider adding the option to my solely online classes as well.

Christen Embry

Christen,

You are thinking creatively. How can you use technology to help you do your job and make learning better?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Do you have any suggestions on how to form a rubric on blogs?

MELISSA,

The first step I would determine what outcome you want to assess with the rubric. Are you looking forward their ability to communicate a body of knowledge? Do you want them to cite. Really examine your expectations of your students to achieve the goal. I then would go to google and google blog rubric. You will be shocked over how many rubrics there are available. I do use them to craft my rubrics.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment