Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First, the tool must allow the student to help fulfill objectives of the course in terms of learning and application.

Second, the tool must allow for the instructor to provide swift and relevant feedback to the learner in order to confirm knowledge or provide guidance.

Third, the tool must provide stimuli in which it will allow learners of all types (auditory, visual and tactile) to advance their knowledge.

I believe the following to be the three most important things to consider:
1. The student's ability, as well as my own, to understand how to use the technology effectively. I would try using a screen capturing tool to offer tutorials that explain new tools.
2. Student's ability to obtain all of the necessary technology tools. Things like webcams and mics can be costly. Knowing this may make me search for alternative tools that would be cheaper, but still effective.
3. Does the technology tool have a well developed help desk or customer service line to help students with questions and myself with any tech issues that may arise?

Robert,

Great post! You are right on all accounts. It is about the student not the technology.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jacqueline,

Great post! I particularly agree with your number 3. Does the technology tool have tutorials and/or help for both the instructor and the students. That is so important.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello,

I have been an online instructor for nearly 9 years now, and I have seen system go through some significant changes. My three keys, based on this experience would include:

1. Ensuring students are taught how to use the tool or at a minimum having tutorials available for them to use to learn how to use the tool.
2. Speed and reliability of the system (tool). If the system/tool is not reliable, then students are just going to become more and more frustrated, and it can be very difficult to manage a classroom of disgruntled students.
3. Appropriateness of the tool (including student engagement) -- I have seen a school that seemed to put out new tool after new tool. I have to admit some were great, but others just seem to add another layer that didn't really add to the value of the classroom objectives or didn't do anything for (or worse yet, had a negative effect on) student engaement.

James,

What you said is so true! You do have to have reliability. When you can't get the information it is problematic for the students. You don't need barriers.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

1. It is important for instructors to use a technology that will enhance learning in some way, and not using it just because you have it available. I think that many times it is seen as a "new toy" and used in a way that does not enhance learning.

2. The students/learners that will be interacting with the technology must be adequately instructed on use of the technology. If learners are not sure how to use the technology they may become frustrated and not get the most out of the course.

3. The students/learners should be made aware of the advantages of using a particular technology and how it can help them learn. This should improve engagement of the student.

Beverly,

I agree with you. It should not be used for technology's sake. Also, it is so much easier to use technology students can easily access such as through the school's LMS.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This is an area for most online instructors that I believe we need more faculty development to assure faculty are actually knowledgeable beyond their students--Dr Jim Young

James,

I agree but I am still surprised when I find instructors not willing to learn more about the technology that may make it easier for them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment