Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As far as, free, online non-authoritative paper mills, such as Wikipedia, students can use this forum to share perspectives, opinion, and some facts, which will aid in the development and practice of several aspects of knowledge production, inclusive of data research, synthesis, and composition of articles. The immediate student learning benefit that I observe is the tangible nature of the end result of their toil, which is a public document, which more than likely reflects something that the student holds a passion for, available for heralding or scrutiny, facilitating further academic growth and development. Due to the online nature of Wiki publications, students are more inclined to exert optimal effort in rendering the highest level of their abilities in writing excellence, and the quality of these postings may even exceed what is deemed acceptable in the traditional classroom setting.

Furthermore, a student’s posting in a Wiki forum postures the student to gain some bragging rights and conversational topics, as the student acquires a pseudo-membership and/or inclusion into a worldwide knowledge-sharing platform, which may inspire them to higher levels of academia. Nevertheless, outside of classroom assessment, the Wiki looses a great amount of relevance in the educational community, because universities, such as the one which employs me, do not allow usage of Wiki articles as scholarly resources. Therefore, when students access Wikipedia postings, they should only refer to these articles to gain foundational subject topics, and after they gain key points mentioned in the Wiki articles, they should then seek scholarly documents to gain quantified information for their comprehensive research.

In a couple classes I've been using a Facebook page effectively as a blog for everyone to add and comment. So many students are already on Facebook that it seems natural to add this.

I'm thinking of trying out a wiki for an assignment in my business class where students must produce a business plan. It's an introductory course and I find that this course requirement is probably too challenging for most students at that point to do well individually. Maybe the CL will be an improvement through doing the assignment via a wiki website and I can give some bonus points if a student takes the group work and individualizes it significantly more. What do you think?

Great idea, John. This would maximize the collaborative potential of the technology. The added outcome would be to increase the confidence ofthe students while they learn something new. Great!

FB can also go along way to facilitate and support a learning community , John.

I have used wikis in my computer class. Since this was the first time using it, I let the students do it for extra credit. The students who did utilize the wiki were very creative in discussing topics. They included pictures, diagrams and You tube presentations. I believe that this method engages the student in the course and gives them the opportunity to discuss topics that they are interested in the course. I will be using wikis more often than I have been.Wikis are a great way to journal or reflect on what they have learned in the class.

So then, Deborah, how might you integrate Wikis formally into your instructional design and for task scores, based on your pilot?

Until I can actually use these tools, I can't measure how well this will work. Presently I have read and digested alot of information in a few days. I teach several courses during the two year RT program. Tools that provide opportunities for students to create their own spaces such as blog tools, Wiki tools, networking tools and so on would be helpful in implementation going forward. My next module begins on October 17, 2011. I will introduce this level of individualized learning experience during our computer lab class. I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Great idea, Vanessa. I think that's how most of us as instructors learn how these tools work and how they change the learning environment - just try them out with students and keep getting student feedback as you go. Telling students ahead of time that you're "testing" out some technology will get them on board as co-evaluators :)

I am looking forward to this with great enthusiasm. The class I have will be only 13 students, half will be going out on externship. This will be much easier for me to handle and evaluate. By the time group A returns I will be a pro. If anyone has any other suggestions I am all eyes. Thanks

It gives student's the opportunity to showcase their ideas and knowledge. It will give them a sense of accomplishment since they can demonstrate their success in obtaining the objective of the assignment at hand. They can participate in a nonthreatening environment.

Although I am uncertain as to how well wikis and blogs would work with my students, I think that for the more traditional student could be shown the model of the wiki with an understanding toward collaborative properties of information. Wikis are a wonderful example of emergent intelligence. Where one person will inevitably fail in being an expert, a community will more likely succeed.

Aaron,
Just make sure that you guide the process throughout and assign grade scores for each step.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Blogs require the student to think about the responces to the class or the lesson. They might even have to do research for the answers. It keeps the student more focused on his or her interacton with the class

Chris, I would be interested in learning about the types of assignments using a Wiki. Students are not allowed to use Wikepedia as a reference when conducting research.

Wikis and blogs directly support students becoming producers of knowledge as they are given the ability to collaborate, cooperate and communicate with peers. Wikis and blogs present an environment our current students are comfortable in. Several students can work together, mentor others and build teamwork skills all in the process of producing knowledge.

This helps students to feel a part of the process and allows them to evaluate their own learning which increases autonomy.

Victoria,

Your response sounds like you have some experience with these tools...can you share some specific examples?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

It is funny you should mention that. I have researched and explored literature that explains the benefits of such tools and have very little experience with them outside of the classroom but I have never gotten the opportunity to utilize them in a classroom setting.

The school I currently teach for limits interaction to the LMS contracted with the school. It is discouraged to use any communication outlets outside simply because they do not have the tools or means to formally track interaction. Unfortunately, our current LMS is a little outdated so many of these features are not available yet.

With that said, I am anxiously awaiting a CEE course that helps to explain how to utilize/navigate these specific tools (hint hint) so that when I am able to put them to use, I am familiar with how to set them up :)

Wikis and blogs support students becoming producers of knowledge because all students have the opportunity to add their input and information in a wiki or blog. Altho accuracy and references are necessary for wikis, blogs are typically someone's own thoughts, experiences, or advice. This provides endless opportunities to share knowledge and information with others.

Krista,
Yes, I have found the use of blogging really increases the individual voice of the students - I have published on my uses with my students in the Campus Technology publication, if you're interested.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment