Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Wikis are pretty rare, but I did one once as a student in a PhD course and I thought it was fairly interesting. The instructor had it set up as an ongoing endeavor, and each time she held a class on a related subject the students would be given the opportunity to add to the Wiki for alternative points in various assignments.

The Wiki would notify the instructor of any changes, so she could then look at the changes and approve or correct them. Students could also comment on each other's content.

One potential down side was that it was difficult to specify and quantify what constitutes "quality" input. Having a rubric for an assignment like this is tricky -- it would almost certainly not have a length requirement, for example, because some Wiki entries are short (but still important).

I think the book is still out on the use of Wikis as a teaching tool.

I am fairly new to wikis and blogs but I think that they definitely fit well with teaching today’s technologically savvy students. I had the opportunity to use both of these in an online class that I took. I will say that I had a small learning curve with the programs. However, I do feel that this type of approach will definitely appeal to those kinesthetic students who learn best by doing. These tools allow students to explore their creativity and expand the mechanisms of teaching with and to their fellow classmates. Depending on the student, online teachers may have to be a little patient with them as they are learning how to use the tools but I do feel that once the techniques are mastered, it will prove to greatly enhance the learning.

Beverly,
Good points. Yes, I think some students will have a more natural aptitude than others, however, I would encourage you to think about the overall instructional goals that could be met using these tools - we have focused on journaling and reflection for many years in education...for all students. These tools make it easier - new tools on the horizon though...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I do think with today's technology that becoming more technologically aware is part of moving forward. By reviewing the learning outcomes for a given major, students and instructors can keep in mind and discuss the larger picture of a students learning of the courses, projects, assessments, and other learning activities that help students accomplish those outcomes.

Loriann,

The customization made possible through Wikis and Blogs means that students can develop their own learning path while still within the greater class group. This also helps us as instructors to "hear" our students more directly.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Although Wikis have been an active part of blackboard for sometime now, I've not had this integrated into any the courses that I teach. However, upon re-enrolling in school this past month, I've had the opportunity to collaborate with other students for a group project through use of a Wiki. The ability to interact with my team in multiple ways gives me encouragement when tasks to complete a detailed group project.
Some of the capabilities that I notice to be most helpful are:
*group email
*file exchange
*group discussion forum that either of us may facilitate
*group collaboration tool

These are all very helpful to me as a student and I hope to someday have this feature enabled in my own courses that I teach.

~Muriel

Muriel,

Great example. Thank you for sharing.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

It allows students to make public their thinking on the topic at hand as they showcase the information they found relevant and their opinions and ideas about it. It does present a challenge in assessment, however, as you need to be able to assess the quality of information presented without being critical of the student's opinions.

Lindsey,
I agree - it also provides a "window" into the students' thought processes and that can be very insightful for the teacher as well as the students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have not personally used wikis or blogs in my class, however, I attended a seminar where this was discussed. I've been experimenting so I can be more comfortable with the technology before I introduce it. The instructor that put on the seminar used a wiki as an FAQ board. This was a great tool! Students would post questions, others would answer (or sometimes the instructor would). This allowed everyone to use the technology and/or learn from it. By the end of the course, many students had participated in the wiki.

I believe that Wikis and Blogs follow the model of Learn, Do, Teach and that students are able to share and expand their learning process through blogging.

Suzie ,

Good points. They also elevate student "voice" and exchange of ideas.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

When they produce a "blog" of their research to date in their respective groups, they tend to manage the group work better. Otherwise I tend to steer students away from 'blogs as they tend to recreate the bad stuff.

Jennifer,
True - blogs are used for all kinds of purposes now, however, the concept is still a good one for the instructional process.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think Wikis and Blogs are invaluable for certain types of students. It seems that the ones that are motivated to produce content for these are prone to strong writing and research tendencies. I have really enjoyed watching the development of some of my students in this segment of my curriculum.
Steve

Stephen,
Good points - yes, these text-based tools can help develop literacy skills in students as well as involve students more in the thought process.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Students can contribute as individuals in group projects. What I have found is that Wikispaces is a great option because it tracks what everyone does and it makes it easy for assessment. Blogs are also a good option because students will want to work harder to make it look good if the whole world could possibly see their work.

Deb

Deborah,
Good points - Wikispaces are effective for sure. Wikis do need o have cooperative possibilities in order for them to work well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have been in an online class in the past where as a group we had to create a wiki on a topic of our choice. It was meant to be a fairly comprehensive wiki on a particular topic, and it therefore required a lot of research of our group. After compiling the information, we divided it up into an organized manner and created the wiki. Then we shared the link with the rest of the class. It was very much a process of us becoming the producers of information. We jad to find it, organize it and present it to the class in a logical manner.

Because wikis and blogs are created by users, then students can be assigned to produce the material in a neaningful fashion. They share with others what they have learned which helps increase theirown knowledge of the subject.

Josh,
Yes, these tools provide a great opportunity for students to customize their own learning - from experience, though, test out the tool before you ask students to use it. I have been caught out on that.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment