Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes, John, so rather than the instructor spending time generating and distributing all information and content for a course, instructors must now focus on developing skills in students to research, locate, organize, and apply information found "out there" beyond the classroom.

I agree with your statement Chris. Today's students view memorization as a complete waste of time. Why should they memorize when they access to any information they need, right at their fingertips.It's about educating students on how to do the research and utilize the tools.

Angela, where/when specifically is memorization still required for students and how do you think it could be presented in a way that may be more appealing?

I agree pretty much with Cecil. Wireless (mobile) devices and internet access through them paint the landscape of today's students.
I constantly observe student's holding their head up by their hand and looking downward toward their laps as if to disguise they are not paying attention to what I am saying. Soon, on occassion I see and hear a chuckle or grin and have to ask myself did I just say something funny? How can that be comical? I instantly know there are two conversations that are happening concurrently and I am not involved in one of them.

Yes, fairly accurate picture you've painted for us, Larry :) So, how does this make you feel as an instructor? Can you build on this reality with your students?

Your comment on memorization and being able to find what they neen to know via phone or computer is certainly the trend of today's generation.
I am of the old school and still beleive that if you really learned someting you can do it without calling someone or having to look it up. While today's technology is a great asset to all of us we still need to teach the students how to learn. It is the human brain that erases things that are memorized when we no longer need the information. You can memorize information to take a test , but when the test is over you cannot retain the information for any period of time.
The student would be much more productive in the performance of their job if they learn. Think about the time that would be saved if you know how to do something versus having to spend time calling someone or looking things up via computer.
We should all consider this as we teach the students.

Well as an instructor giving a lecture with something important to say feel quite ignored and devalued.
I have taken the approach by asking the students how they would feel if they were explaining to their Physcician about their ailments and he/she just kept texting on their cell phone with a colleague. I aslo ask is it possible important data could be missed?

So, Larry, there is an important point here...students are to learn but also to be prepared for a professional work environment. I agree with you that issues of respect and appropriateness should be addressed in the classroom and students given guidance as to what is the best performance standards. Would you agree, however, that there are other times of self study, group work, or project work during which time full access to mobile technology would be helpful?

Today's students want to have instant access to everything. As such, these students would prefer to use mobile technology for this instant access. Cell phones, Ipads, and laptops are just a few examples of mobile technology today's student would use.

In my opinion, the two main technology applications that influence the characterization of today's students as 'nomadic' are the use of mobile technology in the form of smart phones and 3G networks, and wireless technology. Students can connect from anywhere at any time. They can sit and work in a Starbucks or on the beach. The information is available in many forms as well. They can link to a youtube video that has been posted by the instructor, or to a website that has been recommended by a classmate. So, it's not just the any where, any time element, but also the variety of content that is available, making it easier to reach all the different learning styles.

Yes, Andrea. How do you think this has changed teaching and how do you think teaching still needs to change to accomodate this level of connectivity?

I think that there needs to be more training of faculty in the use of the technology. I also think that the faculty should be consulted as to what capabilities the technology has, what we would like the site to do.

Training with new technology has two aspects, Andrea. There is the training in which faculty can be taught how the technolgy works, then there is the innovative use. The second of these involves some risk and also evaluation of best uses of the technology and requires faculty to involve themselves in the hands-on use.

I would say that cell phone technology and wireless internet access are the two main techs that are used by the "nomads". The two techs are becoming one as phones gain internet access and become larger to accomodate larger displays. I am not sure that catering to the "nomad" style is properly preparing the students for the most important thing in their lives -- making a living. Most employers do not look favorably on employees spending time texting or talking on their personal cell phones, and most would consider it a horrible violation of security to ask questions about work problems to people outside of the company, or to "tweet" about what you are doing during the work day. One of the things that gets people in trouble is that they do not recognize the difference between fact and opinion. Much of the "information" that is accessed on the internet is opinion. I realize that I am a dinosaur, but my personal rules have been that at least 50% of what you see on the internet is untrue, and anything you post is totally public and permanent.

Interesting points, Roger. Thinking of the actual capabilities of these technologies, how do you think teaching and leanring can maximize them for instruction?

Like the old western horseman who roamed the country side, these were the nomads of the time. We civilized and socialized into communities, we advanced into a technological society, and our youth adopted technology into their everyday lives. The increased adoption of technology was expanded through wireless communications and mobile computing. Learners now roam the internet like horsemen roaming the countryside. The virtual nomadic work of computing influenced a new way of learning, computing and communicating. Technology has its own set of language and language influences behavior.
Influenced by the internet, learners have acquired new ways of learning. Technology has caused the millennium learner shift the classroom environment from a direct flow, to an ongoing series of connection where learning, communications and social networking take place physically and virtually simultaneously. The progression to opened portals of information and knowledge has changed the process of learning from a liner approach to an integrated reception and delivery of information and knowledge.
As learning takes place and as the process of learning shifts, the language to support the technology alters the behavior of the learner and the way of thinking. The instructor must learn how to deliver to the modern student. What is becoming important in the new classroom are new ways of preparation; processing and delivery of instructions; factors one must consider.

Andrea Licata
I agree that “mobile technology in the form of smart phones and 3G networks, and wireless technology” influences today’s students. With this technology is a change of behavior and language of the student. I am seeing a shift in students’ behavior and expectations. I find that students want me to give them the answers and they are resisting the text book in favor of online information. The dangers are that many sites are not academically correct.

When having a discussion or lecturing I see some one looking down not paying attention I like to call on that person and ask a guestion about what is being discussed I do not feel devalued but the student has been short changed as most times they dont know what is being discussed

Randolph, do you think that distraction is a direct result of new technology use? My sense is that keeping students on task has always been a challenge for teachers.

Good point Craig. We do need to prepare our students for online training because the industry is leaning in that direction. But the base ciriculum still needs to be set on known information verses questionable information off the internet.

Sign In to comment