Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have taught hybrid courses where part of our class meets online, and then we meet on campus one day a week. The feedback from the students was almost always positive. I find students like meeting one day to collaborate and have the opprotunity for group learning. They also like the benefits of online instruction.

Kathy,
Yes, that mix is usually successful with students. Those who like the F2F contact are happy but it still also provides a more interactive environment with the asynchronous tools as well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

In a word - - relevance. If the student, any student no matter age, sees what they may be learning as important to them (even if they don't process it as "learning", or the act of learning it as "relevant") then they will be interested, committed, and take responsibility for it.

Brandon,
I agree - seeing the purpose of something makes all the difference in engaging students and keeping them focused.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I find that I am able to offer more individual attention in on-line classes than in the classroom. I used to worry about not being able to create meaningful academic relationships with on-line only students, but I have found this is not the case.
For each class I teach regularly, I have a number of examples and ways of explaining the more challenging concepts. I can email these helpful aides or discuss them over the phone. Because I am not locked into specific hours for class and Office Hours, I am able to reach more of my students on a regular basis for individual attention.

Suzanne,
I agree - this delivery model provides opportunity to connect directly with individual students while still maintaining the learning community of the entire group. It makes it easier to address learning issues as well as follow up to check for understanding.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment