Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Nichoe,
Yes, the changes are vital...do you think this is a challenge for more conventional instructors?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The total involvement of the student. They are no longer "wall flowers" who simply listen to the instructor and turn in assignments. They are now part of the learning process taking an active part in the learning process.

In my opinion these environments are ones where the students are completely engaged in the class. They have buy-in in their learning. The students are actively participating in their learning. I have conducted classes in which I allowed the students to design some of their assessments by coming up with test questions. They actually designed questions more difficult than I would have asked them. It caused them to think about the important topics and concepts of the course.

Beverly,

Great idea! Yes, involving students in their own assessments can be revealing :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I believe that you could write a thesis on this topic since there are so many components to a dynamic learning environment. I believe the most important aspect would be student engagement. The student dynamic of engagement is different in a conventional environment. I view a conventional environment as the information or learning "coming at the learner" while in a dynamic learning environment, I view the information as integrated into the process of learning.

Particularly for Gen X and Gen Y students there has to be relevance to education and the dynamics learning environment empowers students to be co-creators of their learning. This does not mean that there is not required learning outcomes, but it is enhanced to tailor to the needs, and yes, passions of (hopefully) enthusiastic learners.

In conventional teaching and learning one instructor engages with multiple students and there are only so many directions the session can take where the instructor has control. With dynamic learning and the use of embedded resources and hypertext markup language (HTML), you introduce a new dimension of the instructional design that assists the instructor and the student in taking the teaching and learning pathways in multiple dimensions. While some students may want to read information another group may prefer a video while others prefer a simultaneous chat with the instructor. Between synchronous and asynchronous pathways, all students get a preferred learning experience and the instructor can provide specific feedback to all students regardless of the student's chosen pathway. A higher level of engagement results.

James,
So it is interesting why the potential of the technology is still often ignored and linear instructional designs still preferred - my opinion is that it leads students to frustration as they have an intuitive expectation of high interaction and customization the more they use the technology. Good points...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have had to teach in both forums. There are major differences between the two. In a standard class environment, students can be too reliant.This may cause them to make it through the course only gaining working knowledge and not the full skill that they should. This can happen in the hybrid, but it seems to be more on the instructor for not following through.
People get confused sometimes when they view my classes with the dynamics we use, due to the time the students are preping for their skill sets and I am just observing. What they failed to see is all the prep time it took the instructor to get to that point. The accountability for me is greater with the dynamics since our students maybe at a different pace in their learning which is to their advantage, but for the instructor they need to manage better to do more one on or personal attention to the student needs.

Edward,
Yes, the students can take the lead in their own learning process much more effectively and the role of the instructor simply changes but is in no way diminished. Good points!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

What essential characteristic distinguishes dynamic learning environments from conventional environments?
• the use of technology
• flexibility for students in terms of providing asynchronous connection, interaction, and communication
• dynamic communication
• learner autonomy

To begin they open the door for multiple learning styles. Some students that shy away in a classroom setting can come alive int eh online environment, given the time to perhaps sit and think out a matter in their own, un-pressured time. The converse could be said as well, I suppose, as those less confident online still have the f2f they require/seek.

As stated in the course, the "best of both worlds" is the most essential characteristic. Today's students are always connected, always on, and this approach allows them to use the tools they already rely on constantly, in addition to the enjoyable human element of face-to-face interaction.

What is the average time involved in preping for the student's needs and interaction assists? Does it get easier or more time consuming as you include updates and newer features?

Faith ,

Planning and review are huge in dynamic learning - review must be continuous, however, not only at the end of a course. It takes me a full week to plan initially and then about 3 times a week during a course. The more you template things the more time efficient you become. Also, the more self-directed and constructive assignments are, the more students run with things.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

You want to really engage and have students analyze the course content. This can involve using content that relates to multiple learning styles. You can also have the option of having online and hybrid courses. A dynamic learning environment is one where the interest in motivating students is important.

Donna,
Good points...and, of course, providing opportunity for students to learn for themselves so as to best address individual preferences and needs.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I'm a professor in a Visual Communications program. That being said, I am always seeking ways to make online courses more VISUAL in order to integrate a more dynamic learning environment. I add images, videos, image specific tutorials and any news bites that bring the learning experience into the visual arena.

In addition, I encourage, suggest and sometimes require students to add images to discussion board content. I remind students that we are a visual species and that examples help to define and concretize the learning experience.

As the old saying goes: a picture is work a thousand words. In today's fast-paced technology driven world, I think a dynamic image is worth a gazillion words!

Most humans do not look upon change with easy eyes especially if a way of teaching has been habituated to a specific behavior. Oftentimes, change requires not just knowledge transfer but a total replacement of previous information. This is not easy but oftentimes necessary for one's career.

I enjoy the learning process no matter what the content. I remember when I first began teaching online over ten years ago. I was excited to learn all about the learning management system. I was intrigued about the processes of connecting with students in different and varied platforms. The Discussion Boards are exciting for me because I can support student learning with dynamic and embedded content and in that way "flip" the classroom. I can't imagine teaching only face to face unless I integrated the "flipped" classroom where students are able to participate in more dynamic ways.

Education and the delivery of learning is changing rapidly. My niece, who is in high school, is required to take an online course during the summer break. I rejoiced when she told me. In essence, she is being prepared for her future, technology-driven education.

Nancy,

Very true! With new technology, visual learners can benefit not only from actual images but from the visual flow and logic of learning itself.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment