Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ruben,
Nice post. Be sure to make everything known right up front to the students so they know what is expected.

Shelly Crider

The student also has access to Turnitin in my university. This is a tool both student & instructor has that can tell if they are cheating by getting info from another student or cutting & pasting most of assignment verbatum which they know is wrong. They can then fix assignment & resubmit, and it is also possible to check assignment before you submit.

William,
That is awesome! I believe this is a great way to teach the students. They have a visual right in front of them.

Shelly Crider

We have to be concerned about cheating in any environment. A paper submitted either online or in a classroom my not be the students own work. Its important to use the academic integrity check as a guide along with your own knowledge of the students ability to detect cheating.

We also have to give our students a certain amount of trust that they are doing their own work, while still being vigilant for cheating.

Alfred,
Cheating is everywhere. Schools, work, and every other part of society. We as instructors need to teach this topic as well.

Shelly Crider

Good day,

I disagree that instructors should not be concerned about students cheating in an online environment based on cheating in traditional classes as well.

Cheating is a violation of ethical protocol in any educational venue. Ethical conduct is of value in academe, and the setting where cheating happens does not decrease the importance or significance of the act occurring. It is important to be certain to note the ethical principles of the institution that students attend the first day of class, and to emphasize that different forms of cheating are not proper in an online learning environment, or any learning environment.

Different forms can include plagiarism or fabrications. In order to have graduates that are professional and of integrity, instructors should be concerned with any cheating noted and apply the proper guidelines if such is detected.

I think instructors have an ethical responsibility to be certain that students submit work of quality and integrity in courses.

Respectfully, Perry Spann

Good day,

Alfred, I concur. Ethics should be applied properly regardless of the educational setting. I also think online classes should be considered as important as traditional courses, and such would include having the same guidelines or regulations. Declining the value of learning should not happen based on the venue of instruction.

Respectfully, Perry Spann

Perry ,
Ethics is always important to instill in students. A good academic ethic will lead to a good working ethic.

Shelly Crider

Hi Shelly --

Course facilitators need to be concerned about academic honesty in any learning activity. In part this is because we want to foster integrity in our learners and in part it is because if they fail to do their own work the learning process is compromised for them. If someone plagiarizes his or her way through a college education the degree they receive has little value, the institution's goal of granting degrees to qualified individuals is frustrated, and in turn the employer's interest in hiring the best people is also compromised. It's kind of like a vicious cycle.

It's true that students can cheat in virtually any learning environment but the opportunities with the Internet are multiplied exponentially and without proper safeguards it's more difficult to ensure that the student registered for a virtual course is actually the one completing the activities and assessments.

One of my questions and frustrations, however, is how and whether plagiarism detection software and devices are being used, should be used and how well faculty are trained to utilize them, particular the software (e.g., Turnitin). Do you have thoughts about how we as educators can learn to utilize plagiarism detection software more effectively, not only as a detection tool but as an opportunity for learning in our students?

Debra

Debra,
Excellent question Debra. We have a few colleges that have students utilze Turnitin. This is a good way to teach the students exactly what they are doing incorrectly. Turnitin has several turorials and I would recommend viewing them all to help in the training of our students.

Shelly Crider

Any academic institution needs to guard against cheating. This is a tough topic and one of the biggest areas critics of online schools target. For example, “How do you know the students are not cheating and actually turning in their own work?” is the most common question I’ve gotten over the years. A valid question but there is a solid solution in my opinion.
This comes down to 3 major factors: (1) the online platform must have academic or quality controls, (2) the instructor must use these tools in conjunction with their own experience and best judgment and finally (3) the students themselves must be fully informed regarding the consequences for cheating and held accountable if appropriate.
(1)ACADEMIC/QUALITY CONTROLS: Any test or evaluation I took as an online student was timed. Yes, they were open book/open notes (like many in-residence tests are as well). However, when you have a time limit you need to be as prepared as possible because you can only spend so much time looking up the answers to questions you don’t know. The time limit acts as an academic or quality control. Similarity Scoring is another academic control to ensure students are not plagiarizing.
(2) INSTRUCTOR’S ROLE – An online school can have excellent academic quality controls but if the instructor chooses not to utilize or ignore them they don’t do anyone any good. In addition to using the academic controls the online platform has, the instructor must use their experience and best judgment when evaluating assignments. If you have concerns simply ask the student and remind them about the consequences of cheating / plagiarism.

(3) STUDENTS ROLE – Students must be made aware of the consequences of cheating. This usually results in expulsion. It’s not worth the risk, though some will still try. If a student has been fully informed about the consequences (every class, every semester, every year) and then been warned about questionable assignments they should be held accountable.

Rueben, I like your suggestion about purposely using an activity prone to cheating and turning it into a learning opportunity for everyone. Not in a belittling way but simply pointing out how to avoid plagiarism and why it's important.

I find if you as an instructor have questions about sources or using your own words simply ask (in a very professional way). This helps provide some constructive feedback and helps the student recognize and address the issue.

Wells,
Excellent post. I can see this is a passionate topic for you and I whole heartly agree!

Shelly Crider

No way, cheating will always be a concern regardless of the learning environment. It should never be tolerated or accepted. Instructors have responsibility and make sure students submit work of quality and integrity also we will not forget to trust students who they are willing to learn and doing their own work.

We should be concerned about cheating no matter the environment. I think the temptation to cheat in an online setting may be greater, however, because students can have someone else complete their assignments or take their quizzes or exams. We don't see our students, so they may feel less inclined to avoid disappointing an instructor.

Because almost everything is completed in writing in an online class, it may be a bit easier to catch students cheating. It is really easy to find material that has been plagiarized in essays or discussion board postings. It is not so easy to catch cheating on final exams or quizzes. However, I generally avoid giving final exams that are multiple choice or true/false. My exams are always written exams. Yes, student can cheat on those too, but it is easier to track down copy/paste answers.

We should be concerned of cheating. The internet and other electronic sources are making it easier to cheat. Getting papers or plagiarizing is becoming easier and easier to accomplish. Furthermore, the online format detaches us from face to face interaction making it easier to break moral codes with each other. We feel more detached from each other.

Nicholas,
good point on the detachment statement. We as instructors need to make sure to make each student feel a part of the course.

Shelly Crider

As I am new to on-line education, I am particularly concerned in student cheating themselves by cheating. What can be done to prevent this? What would prevent students to share a common space and cheat by comparing answers by juxtoposed laptops?

Richard,
TurnItIn has certainly helped the cheating issue out. If you are having a student turn in a paper, you could have them turn it in parts. This may be a small way of checking on their progress.

Shelly Crider

I find that cheating on term papers is a real problem, especially with the ease of cutting and pasting from the internet. However, an instructor must be very careful as proper credit can be given to others original thoughts by using the proper citation format (I find most schools require the APA format). Nonetheless, Turnitin is very good tool to prevent cheating on papers.

Sign In to comment