Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Disagree....
Cheating is what some students learned in high school as an expedient to complete assignments. Unfortunately, students in college seem to take the easy road if they find out they can get away with it. This commonly takes the form of copying and pasting which I am sure we have all seen at one time or another. I took a course recently at a university that required all papers be submitted electronically. The copy and paste busters such as TurnItIn have widespread use. I saw a question here on this forum that pertained to resubmissions. I do tell students that they seem to have used verbatim material without using the proper format to identify those passages and should resubmit the paper using the Originality Verification Link in the classroom (mandatory before resubmission.) In this way, they understand what the policing activity is. As I mentioned before, in their hurry or under stress students may succumb to using expediencies that they know they should not so I leave room for that learning experience. Frankly, I do not see too much plagiarism, and hardly ever once the correction is made.

George,
Excellent post. Many students do tend to cheat in high school to hurry up and get out, this is still not acceptable.

Shelly Crider

Well when it comes down to it - cheating is cheating. I will allow a student a do over because essentially the bottom line is learning and this will force the learning issue.

Sign In to comment